Warped and twisted neck blank video

Timbuck

Reaction score
I roughed out a batch of neck blanks last year and most of then turned out ok after storage...but a few decided to stress relieve themselves over the months and ended up a bit twisted..this is the 3rd one that I had to fix and here is a video of how I did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi8T9O0cJso

Obviously your feeling is this a long term solution, but I have heard that once twisted the neck always wants to return to that state. I'm interested on your take on this "Internet" opinion of necks returning to the twisted state over time.

P.S. The reason I'm interested is that I have a Uke that was made in Vietnam and I live in Arizona. Before I could set up proper humidity control within a month the neck developed a twist like yours in the video. I was feeling that it would just be better to put a new neck on as opposed to saving a twisted neck.

Obviously your feeling is this a long term solution, but I have heard that once twisted the neck always wants to return to that state. I'm interested on your take on this "Internet" opinion of necks returning to the twisted state over time.

P.S. The reason I'm interested is that I have a Uke that was made in Vietnam and I live in Arizona. Before I could set up proper humidity control within a month the neck developed a twist like yours in the video. I was feeling that it would just be better to put a new neck on as opposed to saving a twisted neck.
Bending with heat usually means it will stay bent..as same as bending the sides on a hot iron..Also there are loads of furniture products out there that are heat bent....so hopefully all will be well.

Perhaps installing two thin carbon fiber strips would keep it straight and prevent its 'memory' from returning.

Is the 150°F temperature shown in the video correct? I would have guessed higher temperature would be required. I'm also surprised that a small amount of "twist-back" didn't occur; I would have thought you might need to over twist a bit. But obviously it worked.

I once had the fretboard of a dulcimer take on quite a back bow after cutting a channel down the back, with the separate fingerboard glued on. I clamped it down onto my bench, with a heating blanket under it. There was a piece of thin steel plate under the blanket and thin shim in the middle to give it a bit of over-bend. This worked well and the instrument still plays well many years later.

1641502840359.png

Is the 150°F temperature shown in the video correct? I would have guessed higher temperature would be required. I'm also surprised that a small amount of "twist-back" didn't occur; I would have thought you might need to over twist a bit. But obviously it worked.
Yes it needs to be higher temp...200-250 F

Top Bottom