Sotu 481 "Mayday ... It's May Day!!!"

​Tom, this is brilliant ... thank you so much!!!

I agree, so I've put it to music. Hope you dont mind Tom, and please let me know how you'd like to be credited in the video, I've just put your username for now.

I've put the lyrics and the chords I've used in the description in case anyone wants to make it the season theme song

I agree, so I've put it to music. Hope you dont mind Tom, and please let me know how you'd like to be credited in the video, I've just put your username for now.

I've put the lyrics and the chords I've used in the description in case anyone wants to make it the season theme song

​Great job, Ryan ... thanks so much for doing this! And a great idea to make it the week's theme ... I hope I'll be able to find the time to give it a go!

This is the first ever collaboration that I did with Jimmy on vocals.
all about comradeship on the lasting ties that developed between friends.

Wonderful Ryan! I am so glad you were inspired to create a song from these lyrics. You nailed it better than what I would have done. Thanks for your encouragement over the seasons. I am happy beyond words! ��

SOS (save our souls) is morse code for mayday. And it’s also one of ABBA’s finest songs (sorry Marc ;) ). Liz Brinker lifted this one enormously with her wonderful uke playing and trademark vocal harmonies - thanks so much Liz!

It's not every week you get to cover a Beatles hit, its one that everyone knows. but I'd never thought to learn it till this week...

(Hey! who said you still haven't learned it?!?)

And Good (please fill in your appropriate time of day.) Sorry, I am late this morning ... not quite sure where I have been! Since yesterday morning, Rob is still supporting the workers, Lynda has brought us Spring in the city, and there have been three cries for "help" (or "HLEP" in Joko's case), from Del and Liz, Lyndall and Joko himself. Please keep the goodies coming ... and, if anyone feels like having a go at Ryan's interpretation of Tom's poem, that would be lovely!

Tom’s poem, Ryan’s uke and vocal, and some synth bass, oboe, strings and rhythms from me. That’s what I call a collaboration! Big thanks to Ryan and Tom! :)

Another "SOS" (1975) by Benny Andersson, Bjorn Ulvaeus and Stig Anderson for this week. Instrumental version with effects. (But I really recommend the recent fine cover of "SOS" by Del and Liz.)

"come see where golden hearted spring" by :bowdown: handel

big thanks to :bowdown: geoff tootler for working chords out for me for this, back when i originally did it on (concert) uke a few years back

And hello again from deepest France, where it is QUITE late ... sorry! Not many entries in the last 24 hours - where ARE you all??? However, what we HAVE had is choice ... Del's working of Tom's and Ryan's "Maybe It's May Day", a wonderfully-effect filled "S.O.S" from Ylle, some very lovely Handel from Lynda (who would have thunk it?), and, just now, a
really sweet instrumental from Brian. Thank you all! Please keep those songs coming today ... it's almost the weekend.

I came across this quote/joke on Facebook this morning, which seems very appropriate to the month of May so far (as it has played out over here, anyway) ...

183114370_4311305515555913_4313452778497226937_n.jpg

My PC was in the "hospital" most of the week and Carmen was in the real hospital too - comforting her ailing father - so I didn't think I'd get the chance to do a video this week. But yesterday Carmen's Dad was ,moved to his old age pensioners home and put under palliative care and last night, I got the PC back. Then this morning a dizzy spell meant I didn't go rambling in the local hills. When the pills eventually kicked in and the world stopped revolving, I was free! So I spent the time preparing this video of a song I wrote back in February during FAWM 21.

Hope you like:

Here's my shot at a tune for engravertom's (Tom McArdle's) excellent lyrics. I loved what Ryan did, and then what Del did. But, as soon as I read Tom's lyrics this tune sprang into my head. I had to make myself not watch Ryan's rendition until I sang mine into voice memos, because I knew as soon as I listened to Ryan's I would not be able to hear it any other way. Thank you, Tom, for the words.

I think this song fits the theme. What do you say when you have had Enough? Mayday - get me outta here. So this song is all about when you have had enough. Originally done by the Psychodots and written by Rob Fetters - I love both of them. The player is a bit dark in the video, but the background shows up great - and it's beautiful.

Written by Dolly Parton specifically for the film 9 to 5. "The song—and film—owe their titles to 9to5, an organization founded in 1973 with the aim of bringing about fair pay and equal treatment for women in the workplace."-Leigh H. Edwards, from Dolly Parton, Gender, And Country Music. Although the movie centers around three women unhappy in their work, the song is applicable to all workers who feel unappreciated.

9 to 5
Dolly Parton, 1980

Here is one that I think fits the May Day theme.

Top Bottom