Sotu 481 "Mayday ... It's May Day!!!"

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Greetings, Seasonistas, and welcome to Season 481, where we will be celebrating May Day (or, alternatively, sending out distress calls!) Please watch the introductory video for details ... it is VERY SHORT!

I'll put up the Playlist once the entries start to come in. Meanwhile, remember that Bob's splendid Season still has over a day to run, so there's still plenty of time to discuss the pros and cons of tomatoes.

PLAYLIST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFDjTj2zZYz5TTMfbqhForZt6c8Kb2rE

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Val! Hoping I can make time this week to get something in.

I was strolling through the park one day,
In the very merry month of May
I was taken by surprise
by a boat which had capsized
crewed by capitalist bourgeoisie!

I was strolling through the park one day,
In the very merry month of May
I was taken by surprise
by a boat which had capsized
crewed by capitalist bourgeoisie!

Insert Applause Smiley Here

Greetings! And we are up and away ... thanks to Wim and Charley (sans tin foil hat), and Bob for getting things started!

And THANK YOU, Joko, for that amazing poem ... you are the first winner of my recently initiated (as of this morning) "Poet of the Week" award! (Actually, any Spring/Worker/Emergency poems will be gratefully received ... and, if they are accompanied by a strum or two, they can become a song!)

It is now officially Spring ... I heard a cuckoo for the first time this year while I was hanging out the washing today, so that proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt! (It only occurred to me yesterday that those of you "Down Under", whose seasons are therefore upside down, are moving into Autumn and, therefore, might be reluctant to celebrate Spring. Please feel free to celebrate the start of Autumn instead!*)

I look forward to hearing what you wonderful people bring forth ... I'll start the Playlist in a moment.

(Kev, I DO hope you'll be able to find the time to join in.)

*This special dispensation only applies to Antipodeans.

Last edited:
(and i forgot to wear my tinfoil hat!!)
Oh heck - now you'll be zapped by the establishment spies who surf the net, looking for pro-worker trouble makers. It was nice knowing you...

And here's another one revealing his true colours.

It is now officially Spring ... I heard a cuckoo for the first time this year while I was hanging out the washing today, so that proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt!
We heard our first cuckoo last week (they always head for a common near us which is awash with moths - the staple diet of the cuckoo apparently). But since then it has gone quiet - probably gone back to France where it might be a bit warmer.

We heard our first cuckoo last week (they always head for a common near us which is awash with moths - the staple diet of the cuckoo apparently). But since then it has gone quiet - probably gone back to France where it might be a bit warmer.

I have no idea where ours hang out ... we're surrounded by woods, and they're in there somewhere.

Thanks for hosting Val.A song from the 1945 film State Fair by Rogers and Hammerstein 2'ndit won the academy award for best original song for that year

Without A Union
SOTU 481 -Mayday...It's May Day!!!
To the tune of "Makin' Whoopee" by Gus Kahn & Walter Donaldson, A Union Version Parody - From the magazine 'Talking Union'. I first learned it from a "Folk Process" column in Sing Out! magazine.

Good morning & etc., Comrades! Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far! We have had ten songs and the Workers are winning by a mile ... they have had support from Wim, Charley, Bob, Steve, Jim, Rob and "RedLil." Spring is springing thanks to Lynda and Stan and Ukulele Extra Cheese (I'm sorry, I don't know your name, Sir) has experienced a disaster requiring the efforts of the emergency services. Thank you all ... please keep them coming today!

By the way, I should have pointed out - someone queried it - any songs about anyone doing a job of work are acceptable under the heading of "Workers" ... you don't have to be paid up Union members!
AND
Further to Joko's brilliant poem linking all three aspects of this week's theme, is anyone else able to bring such disparate threads together in one poem/song? Extra Brownie points will be earned!

Top Bottom