Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sotu 481 "Mayday ... It's May Day!!!"

Fabulous already, and it's only Tuesday!

Here's another snuck off recording before work.

Inspired as I was by Bobjking and Billy Bragg, I wanted to add a tribute. This is a Bill Bailey song originally. It didn't work on ukulele so well, so I had to take some liberties - apologies for that.

In honour of all the workers of the world, I bring you Unisex Chipshop.

Since Andy beat me to Joe Hill, and did a fine job of it, I'll share Joe Hill's Will. Sorry, but no ukuleles are involved.

Joe Hill was great labour organizer and poet who was executed in 1915 on a murder charge universally considered to be trumped up.

And, to add to the joy that is, undoubtedly, Spring, yesterday we went for a picnic at the top of a hill which has a look-out point over a spectacular view towards the Massif Central. The sun was shining and, had we still been in the UK, it would have been a Bank Holiday. However, this is France and public holidays are only celebrated on the day they actually occur ... the 1st May was Saturday! (Having said that, we have THREE more public holidays this month!) Anyway, the sun was shining and it was positively Spring-like, so I took some photos driving down the hill to the nearby town. I decided to string them together to make a sort of video and, since this is France, accordion music had to go in there. (This area is well-known for its accordion music and one of the few factories still making these instruments is only a few miles away from us.) So, voila ...
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Here's one from Arcade Fire although I've taken one or two liberties and now I sort of want to hear Savages cover it.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Facebook

YouTube

I wanted to try a spring song, but the ones I have in mind (One by Tom Waits, one by Tom Lehrer) proved a bit tricky. So here's another song about workers, again from Billy Bragg.

Just baritone uke and voice, for once. I thought this might sound good with some effects on the uke, following the original on electric guitar, but none of them sounded as good as when it was left alone, so in the end, I left it alone.

Hopefully someone else can manage one of those spring songs by one of those Toms. Or I might try again later in the week...
    - Edwin

This is a song by an Australian duo called Mundy Turner, about the miner's strikes in the UK in the 80s. Apparently someone had told their story of what they went through during that time to Jay Turner and he wrote a song about it, no idea when or where as they're quite an obscure band.

Anyway, a few months ago someone at my local open mic played it and i found it completely haunting and captivating, i recommend listening to the original because the vocal arrangement is stunning for a folk song with one guitar.

Here's my take on it.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Facebook

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Good morning & etc., Comrades! Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far! We have had ten songs and the Workers are winning by a mile ... they have had support from Wim, Charley, Bob, Steve, Jim, Rob and "RedLil." Spring is springing thanks to Lynda and Stan and Ukulele Extra Cheese (I'm sorry, I don't know your name, Sir) has experienced a disaster requiring the efforts of the emergency services. Thank you all ... please keep them coming today!

By the way, I should have pointed out - someone queried it - any songs about anyone doing a job of work are acceptable under the heading of "Workers" ... you don't have to be paid up Union members!
    AND
    Further to Joko's brilliant poem linking all three aspects of this week's theme, is anyone else able to bring such disparate threads together in one poem/song? Extra Brownie points will be earned!
    Ok. Here is my attempt at bringing the topics together. Don’t think I can record this week. Brutally busy this week. Thanks for hosting Val!

Maybe it’s May Day

Verse 1
    Labor exploited for a capital gain.
    Somebody profits from another man’s pain.
    Used and discarded like cheap broken tools.
    Money is wisdom and the poor are the fools.

Chorus

Workers united for what will they fight?
    The country’s divided there’s no end in sight
    Spring should bring promise but there’s only distress.
    Maybe it’s May Day cause the world is a mess.

Verse 2
    Small shops are closing, they can’t pay the rent.
    With payroll and taxes, the money’s all spent.
    No match for the big box, it’s time to shut down.
    Trickle down poverty in a small town.

Repeat chorus

Verse 3
    Political answers to spiritual ill.
    I hope we don’t try it but we probably will.
    Loving our neighbors is a good place to start.
    But more than the effort, it takes a new heart.

Repeat chorus.

paoriginal

And Good Morning (or whatever it might be for you), to all my Comrades! I say "Comrades", because the Unions are still winning out here. Yesterday, we had four splendid labour-related songs from Chris, Jim, Ryan and Edwin. Ryan also celebrated Spring in a round-about sort of way, whilst I have just listened to a wonderfully depressing song from Pa which is, in no way, a celebration of that season. If you haven't already seen it, please take the time to read Tom's WONDERFUL poem which drew all the threads of this week's theme together so effectively and in such a topical manner. (Tom, I should love to add this to the Playlist ... would you have time just to put it on video?) Thank you all and please keep the contributions rolling in today!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by engravertom View Post
    Ok. Here is my attempt at bringing the topics together. Don’t think I can record this week. Brutally busy this week. Thanks for hosting Val!

Maybe it’s May Day

Verse 1
    Labor exploited for a capital gain.
    Somebody profits from another man’s pain.
    Used and discarded like cheap broken tools.
    Money is wisdom and the poor are the fools.

Chorus

Workers united for what will they fight?
    The country’s divided there’s no end in sight
    Spring should bring promise but there’s only distress.
    Maybe it’s May Day cause the world is a mess.

Verse 2
    Small shops are closing, they can’t pay the rent.
    With payroll and taxes, the money’s all spent.
    No match for the big box, it’s time to shut down.
    Trickle down poverty in a small town.

Repeat chorus

Verse 3
    Political answers to spiritual ill.
    I hope we don’t try it but we probably will.
    Loving our neighbors is a good place to start.
    But more than the effort, it takes a new heart.

Repeat chorus.
    ​Tom, this is brilliant ... thank you so much!!!

Thread Information