Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lacquer Problems

Hey resoman,

Reading this thread, I was thinking that most of the possible choices are probably technically banned in CA due to the VOC content. Can you even get lacquer thinner?

There's a maker on the Banjo Hangout forums who gets really beautiful results with CrystaLac, and he moved to it after using nitro for a long time. I was thinking of trying it based on that recommendation. I see from your OP that you've tried it too, but you're still in search of a different finish. What was it that didn't work for you?

I'm going to give the CrystaLac Brite Tone another try. I see it can be shot on and that is attractive to me. I don't remember exactly why I didn't like it. LMI has it so I'm gonna order up tomorrow.
    You would think that lacquer thinner would be banned here but it is not. What is banned tho is denatured alcohol. I can hardly believe that. I am in Nevada 4 or 5 times a year so I'll get it then. I was there a month or so ago and bought a couple gallons and that will hold me over.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

I've had excellent results in the past with solvent based Minwax wipe-on satin poly, but that was before it was banned over here due I believe to the VOC content. The water based stuff is available, but like others I have an aversion to water based finishes and haven't bothered to try it.
    Last edited by Wildestcat; 05-03-2021 at 01:08 AM.
    Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by resoman View Post
    What is banned tho is denatured alcohol.
    Funny, but my hardware store here in Northern California still carries denatured alcohol. I've used what is called "stove fuel" which is basically denatured ethanol with some methanol mixed in. Works great.

I saw something when I was looking for the reasons California banned this stuff and I found something that said that denatured alcohol was not banned in other parts of the state. I'm going from memory here so, ya gets what ya pays for. We get lumped in with the LA area. We say we're Central California but they say we're in southern Cal.
    It's a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by resoman View Post
    I'm going to give the CrystaLac Brite Tone another try. I see it can be shot on and that is attractive to me. I don't remember exactly why I didn't like it. LMI has it so I'm gonna order up tomorrow.
    I have used Brite Tone on a couple of instruments and like it. I am not spraying it (no equipment) but am putting it on with an artist quality brush. It colors the wood well, sands well, and buffs well. No fumes at all, dries quickly. The Brite Tone sanding sealer has worked well too.

Have you tried Enduro-Var? John Greven has been using it for years.

Jupiter, I ordered the Brite Tone and the sanding sealer from LMI today. Now for the testing. It gives me hope that this will do the trick but I do have other stuff coming to try too.

Mando, I've not heard of Enduro-Var but I will sure look into it.

Brush the shellac on. It's fast (as in a lot less working time) but it does require technique and practice. Not much required in terms of equipment either, just a brush or two.

Your brush on the shellac made me think of a Stansell video I saw that showed how he brushed on and finished a guitar. Beautiful results. I am going to try shooting some on first.

Thread Information