Flight A10 QM Aqua Blue Anniversary Series Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this review. Not because I'd buy one since I don't play tenors but I was interested to see how Flight would do with their first foray into the high-end market. I saw two of those flamed maple tenors listed on SUS and they went very quickly.

I actually hadn't noticed that those tuning pegs were offset on the headstock. Love that design. The tuners themselves remind of some really high-end brand whose name I just can't remember right now but if they were made by the brand I'm thinking of I'm sure they would've mentioned it on their website.

To be honest, that particular colour isn't for me. I don't like the abalone blending with the blue maple, and I particularly don't like those abalone position markers. Makes them look almost invisible. I have the same issue with KoAlohas but thankfully both have white markers on the side. Anyway, it's nice they did four different designs so there's lots to choose from. I hope that someday they'll make a concert or soprano of the same caliber. I was actually really surprised how high a score this one got. Nice to see they managed to deliver on these anniversary models.

Last edited:
It's an outstanding uke with some very high end appointments (like the tuners - custom made I think) and the ball end frets. Staggeringly good. The tone is not my usual thing, but the way it harmonises with itself is amazing. The only other uke I played to do that was a high end Koaloha I once played. Sounds like more than one uke is being played when strummed.

Looks are of course subjective. This is right up my street with right level of bling (I don't do bling..). Yet had no qualms giving it a 10 on that front. I could look at the quilting all day.

Forgot about those fret ends, glad you mentioned them. I've never seen those kinds of fret ends on ukes myself but I can definitely appreciate them. I've had even some high-end ukes that have had sharp fret ends, and even if the ends aren't sharp the corners can sometimes be which is something I often notice especially when fingerpicking. I would gladly pay extra for that sort of quality.

BTW Bazmaz, have you considered listing your Patreons at the end of your video for example, similarly like you do with new donations at the start of your videos? That's a pretty standard way of thanking your Patreons for many Youtube creators and might attract more people to your Patreon.

I could do - they get thanked as a whole at the beginning of course, but a list could work

I did have a couple of anonymous messages saying that I shouldn't do the thank you's at all (which seemed very odd..) but I've now started putting a chapter break after them if people don't want to listen.

(Maybe it's an age thing, but I was always brought up to say thank you!)

I did have a couple of anonymous messages saying that I shouldn't do the thank you's at all (which seemed very odd..) but I've now started putting a chapter break after them if people don't want to listen.

(Maybe it's an age thing, but I was always brought up to say thank you!)

I saw that discussion on Facebook. I'm guessing it's just a vocal minority complaining about such things, as ever. As I mentioned, in Youtube it's a standard way of thanking for support. Just thought I'd mention it if you'd like to highlight your Patreon supporters, no biggie.

OMG, this looks tempting....if it only had a radiused fretboard....probably better for my bank account that it doesn't....it really is quite lovely, Baz.
Can you give us a shot up close of the ball end frets?

Sure Nickie - close as I can get

DSC00042.jpg

Thanks, I've been waiting for this review ever since Alex mentioned you had one of the other anniversary models for review. Glad to hear it met with your approval. I actually preordered the flamed maple anniversary model here in the US based on Alex's comments and sound sample. Now I just have to wait until July for them to arrive Stateside.

Enjoy it - am sure you will. These are right up there.

Like many we have seen the offerings from Flight. They keep offering something that checks off a lot of boxes in regards to style, sound, quality. What level to do you want to play at?? A little something at each price point and yet one see's something that is well thought out and well executed at the offered price point. Perhaps the X series is just a little high priced but not by much. The Cocobolo Spruce topped X really has my interest. I'd like to hear it.

Yeah - kind of final piece in the jigsaw for them.

Re the price - it's about the price of the high end aNueNue's so I can see where the money is. To get something with this spec made in, say, Hawaii would cost you twice as much.

Top Bottom