Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unreal slow delivery service from USPS

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    USPS has been terrible for a long time. I avoid using it when at all possible. I like UPS in the areas where I've lived. FedEx is OK, but I've found their people hard to deal with. I think that relates to their background as a business oriented service. Dealing with individuals isn't their forte. I think our government ought to put the postal service out to bid, and let a private operator run it.
    *sigh* The constant degradation of USPS over the years has been intentional so that people would, erroneously, come to this exact conclusion. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, don't fall for it. Privatization is not a magic bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    *sigh* The constant degradation of USPS over the years has been intentional so that people would, erroneously, come to this exact conclusion. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, don't fall for it. Privatization is not a magic bullet.

The USPS *should* be a public service; a way to provide for communication and information to every single home and business in the entire country.

A private business has no such mandate, and is primarily concerned with profit.

For too long the people running USPS (into the ground) have treated it as if it is somehow both of these things at once.

It is in no way profitable to actually provide regular to-the-door service in vast swaths of the rural US, but we do it with the USPS for the good of every single person in this country, not just for the good of some stockholders.

Oh, also we have been trained by large corporations (such as Amazon) giving us "free" shipping to believe that physically moving an object thousands of miles has no intrinsic value when in truth the cost (financially, environmentally, and in actual person hours) is still quite high. This also de-values what the USPS does. Couple that with the farcical mismanagement of the USPS and you end up with a situation where many are more than happy to simply toss it in the bin.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

The United States Constitution dictates the creation of a Federal Postal Service. This was to be a fair and equatable system for all the people. Monied interests for years have been making it harder to run. They would love to take over this system and Damm the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    The United States Constitution dictates the creation of a Federal Postal Service. This was to be a fair and equatable system for all the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    The USPS *should* be a public service; a way to provide for communication and information to every single home and business in the entire country.
    Wow! Two great quotes! A slight shift in thinking about the USPS as a service, and remembering the Constitution ... I have no idea where this could lead.

I am still waiting for some books I ordered for a class. They were print-to-order, and shipped on February 2nd from Cedar Rapids, IA via FedEx Sure Post , which uses Last Mile delivery by USPS.

Or, at least it would be, if it had ever been delivered TO the USPS.

FedEx has no idea what happened to the books, and frankly doesn't care. The printing company, Lulu.com, didn't care either. As far as they were concerned, they printed the books, and shipped them.

Luckily, the publisher cared. One of their reps had copies of the books, and sent them USPS Priority to me From Florida. She also contacted Lulu.com, who printed up another set, sent me a snarky message that I should have chosen a different shipping method, and sent me the books FedEx 2 day, from Cedar Rapids. While they never gave me a tracking number on the reship, the books did show up. Three days after they were shipped.

I really do prefer USPS. Hate FedEx, especially FedEx Ground which has screwed up 90% of the deliveries sent that way. (FedEx Ground is a group of independent carriers, who contract with FedEx to use the name. I'm sure there are some good drivers still there - those I knew who cared have all left, and gone elsewhere.)

-Kurt
    Last edited by ksiegel; 05-04-2021 at 02:14 PM.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Wow! Two great quotes! A slight shift in thinking about the USPS as a service, and remembering the Constitution ... I have no idea where this could lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post

A private business has no such mandate, and is primarily concerned with profit.

For too long the people running USPS (into the ground) have treated it as if it is somehow both of these things at once.

It is in no way profitable to actually provide regular to-the-door service in vast swaths of the rural US, but we do it with the USPS for the good of every single person in this country, not just for the good of some stockholders.

Oh, also we have been trained by large corporations (such as Amazon) giving us "free" shipping to believe that physically moving an object thousands of miles has no intrinsic value when in truth the cost (financially, environmentally, and in actual person hours) is still quite high. This also de-values what the USPS does. Couple that with the farcical mismanagement of the USPS and you end up with a situation where many are more than happy to simply toss it in the bin.
    Thanks for posting these other opinions. I have been a proud USPS employee for 35 years, and most employees are horrified by the actions of our alleged "leadership" over the last several years. Since the Post Office Department became the US Postal Service under the Postal Reorganization Act, there have been many misguided attempts to somehow correct what is considered the most trusted government agency. The pandemic has definitely changed many folks idea of what an "essential worker" is, and perhaps now we see the importance of delivery drivers, gas station attendants, grocery store workers, farm workers, teachers, etc.

Are we perfect? No, but most of the postal workers I know care very much about the service that we provide to our country's citizens. Sure, the letter or package that takes weeks (or years) to deliver makes the news, but on a daily basis our workers have been putting their lives on the line (just like many of you have at your jobs) to make sure the mail gets delivered. Privatizing what is an essential government service will leave many communities unable to afford the mail service that is now provided to every address in America. Imagine a large company trying to figure out how to make delivering a letter to a rural address more profitable. My guess is it won't be 55 cents.

We might all have a horror story about a letter or package that took a week to deliver, a several hours wait at the Motor Vehicle Department, bad service at a chain restaurant, auto mechanics, hospitals - the list goes on and on. Perhaps a little more patience for people and with people would help. Off my soapbox for now.

Bill

Default A two for one solution

How about a solution that would raise USPS revenue while reducing junk mail volume?

Like it? All they have to do is charge junk mail senders First Class postage rates.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Pono MC, Concert

I'm not an expert, but I imagine the reason for "junk" mailing is the relative low cost. Increasing the price of direct mail marketing could drive advertisers to find an alternative way of reaching consumers. There have been some interesting ideas floated about increasing revenue for the USPS, like postal banking and offering other service (similar to post offices in Europe and other locations). The struggle continues.

Considering all the complaints about FedEx and UPS that float around all the time it seems that private shippers are not doing it any better or any cheaper.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Hope you get it soon Hodge!

Not to always bash USPS, I had something shipped from HI on a Sat and delivered to my house in CA on Mon! Once in awhile, they get it right.

Thread Information