Hot bluegrass ukulele

mikelz777

Reaction score
Hot is right! These guys are great!

Well, that sure was fun. :)
Thanks for posting the video!

Wow! Those boys sure can play.

Just goes to show us that good musicians can make humble instruments sound great.

"Turkey in the Straw" is also fun to strum and sing as a three chord tune. Clogging or square dancing optional.

For lyics and chords search https://www.e-chords.com for the key you like (C or G are easy). Search youtube for versions with singing.

Strum patterns for fiddle tunes features heavy strums (DUM) and quick down-ups (da-da da-da da-da)

DUM da-da da-da da-da, DUMMM da-da DUM, etc

Listen and experiment to find patterns you like. Sing out or chant the DUMs and da-da's a few times to work out the pulses.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks Mikelz77,
That was great! Is the ukulele tuned in fifths or mandolin tuning?

Thanks Mikelz77,
That was great! Is the ukulele tuned in fifths or mandolin tuning?

This isn't something I would have been able to come up with on my own but I read through the comments on the video on YouTube and a couple people noted that the guy on the left had the uke tuned like a mandolin.

This isn't something I would have been able to come up with on my own but I read through the comments on the video on YouTube and a couple people noted that the guy on the left had the uke tuned like a mandolin.

The dude is a great mandolin player. Saw this pop up a while back and after two notes was like, "Wait... He's no uke player!" and went to check - sure enough. Great playing (love the rhythm chops), but not really uke, IMO.

That was fun! Interesting idea to tune like a mandolin. I might have to experiment with that tuning one of these days.

I really enjoyed that! Great playing there. Thanks for sharing.

I had my head cocked over to one side while listening, thought something sounded kind'a different. Then I read here about the Mando tuning, and it all made sense. I guess if someone handed me a Mandolin, I'd real quick tune it like a Uke, so all's fair in love and war, etc. I enjoyed the performance!

I just think it is a remarkable example of showing the capability and versatility of the ukulele. I think that Luna uke is only around $100 which many would consider cheap. I'm impressed with the sound that he got out of it and I was wondering to what degree was it the uke and what degree was it his playing ability.

I just think it is a remarkable example of showing the capability and versatility of the ukulele. I think that Luna uke is only around $100 which many would consider cheap. I'm impressed with the sound that he got out of it and I was wondering to what degree was it the uke and what degree was it his playing ability.

I thought it was awesome. Thanks Mikelz777! I knew you could tune a Ukulele this way. But this is the first time I have seen it and heard what it sounds like when someone who knows what they are doing plays that tuning. I can use the idea to justify the number of mahogany soprano ukuleles that I own, Ha! Going to go through the strings box and see if I have a set to try the idea out.

Top Bottom