Buying advice for my 1st soprano

If its soprano bodied ukes with longer necks we are talking about, I think the Shima "JS WIDENECK SOPRANO UKULELE" is also a strong contender.

Soprano body, wide neck is ergonomic and scale length of a concert.

http://shimaukulele.com/

I would love to get the Kiwaya, especially because it's joined at 12th vice 14th However, Dohle is right -- the Pono probably makes better sense for me as a neophyte sop player.

This just in -- Uncle Rufus also recommends that I go with KoAloha. He is another who doesn't like the looks of Pono's long neck. However, I'm stuck on the Pono because my playing style has gotta have more than 14 frets. I shall order the Pono tomorrow -- it's waaay past my bedtime here in Hawaii.

(

It was listening to a soprano that got you started on acquiring one. So it is the sound, not the feel, that you are seeking.

Can URufus actually play them (over a phone connection even) for you to hear the differences, including the Kiwaya? This will not be your only or main player, so the fretboard limitation may be irrelevent if you don't get the soprano sound that you are now hearing in your head (or on the recording, at least).

I don't get it. You live on Oahu in the land of Ukulele, there is no better place on Earth to buy one. Why do you even bother dealing with mainland stores when you have the biggest choice at your doorstep. It is likely less than 20 min on the bus to the next store, and I would not be surprised if some would if bring some over to your place to try out if you have mobility issues, this can all be done safely even in times of Covid.

I own 22 ukuleles & not one of them is a soprano.

I just watched Joe Brown play & sing "I'll See You in My Dreams" with a soprano uke. I loved its twangy soprano sound for that particular type of song so, after all these years, I'm going to buy my 1st soprano.

It was listening to a soprano that got you started on acquiring one. So it is the sound, not the feel, that you are seeking.

This will not be your only or main player, so the fretboard limitation may be irrelevent if you don't get the soprano sound that you are now hearing in your head (or on the recording, at least).

:agree::agree::agree:

Last edited:
I don't get it. You live on Oahu in the land of Ukulele, there is no better place on Earth to buy one. Why do you even bother dealing with mainland stores when you have the biggest choice at your doorstep. It is likely less than 20 min on the bus to the next store, and I would not be surprised if some would if bring some over to your place to try out if you have mobility issues, this can all be done safely even in times of Covid.

So we know what you would do and we also know that the OP has chosen not to do it your way.

He has a retailer that he likes and is loyal to (likely works both ways) and comfortable with. At 90 years, it likely does not matter how close many of the other stores are or how good their service might be since he is happy to buy from a particular seller. He is certainly an experienced buyer.

I want to thank all of you for your friendly and informative comments. I have ordered the Pono super SOPRANO (NOT tenor]. Not everyone was thrilled with it but no one hard-slammed it, either. So I just felt that the long neck gave me a sort of playability "fail-safe" for my first soprano.

I asked Matt to set it up as usual:
(A) Set-up for fluorocarbon strings with "re-entry" high G/GCEA tuning.
(B) 0.5MM at 1st fret & 2.6mm at the 12th fret.

Much Aloha to you all!!!

Last edited:
Koalohas are great. But if you want the sound you hear in the Joe Brown video, which is a classic, mainland, small body, solid mahogany, light as a feather, full-bore soprano, get that Kiwaya or one of the similar ones mentioned, like Timms. There’s no substitute.

If you just want to explore the soprano scale, you’ll be very happy with the Koaloha. If you’ve already ordered it, let us know what you find!

What’s a super tenor?

I want to thank all of you for your friendly and informative comments. I have ordered the Pono super tenor. Not everyone was thrilled with it but no one hard-slammed it, either. So I just felt that the long neck gave me a sort of playability "fail-safe" for my first soprano.

Much Aloha to you all!!!

I want to thank all of you for your friendly and informative comments. I have ordered the Pono super tenor. Not everyone was thrilled with it but no one hard-slammed it, either. So I just felt that the long neck gave me a sort of playability "fail-safe" for my first soprano.

Much Aloha to you all!!!

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure it'll be a fantastic uke.
However, I don't think it would be very soprano-like.

The feel and sound of a soprano comes not just from the body size, but the physical scale length (short) and tension of the strings.
If my soprano had a long neck like a concert or tenor, it'll just sound like a small-bodied tenor, not a soprano!

The longer scale adds tension and vibrating length to the strings which will make it sound undoubtably like a tenor.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my honest feedback!

Much Aloha to you all!!!

I think that you meant to write Pono Super Soprano (rather than Super Tenor). This one from your earlier shortlist and from your favoured dealer: https://alohacityukes.com/collectio...eck-msd-solid-mahogany?variant=30388414677078
At the end of the day it’s your criteria, your money and your choice rather than ours. As I said in an earlier post I had a long neck Soprano for a few years and loved it, you’ll probably do the same so congratulations on your purchase and enjoy.

Last edited:
@ziret & @Graham Greenbag: I goofed -- should have written "super soprano" and not super tenor. I have corrected my post and shown my error.

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure it'll be a fantastic uke.
However, I don't think it would be very soprano-like.

The feel and sound of a soprano comes not just from the body size, but the physical scale length (short) and tension of the strings.
If my soprano had a long neck like a concert or tenor, it'll just sound like a small-bodied tenor, not a soprano!

The longer scale adds tension and vibrating length to the strings which will make it sound undoubtably like a tenor.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my honest feedback!
If the long neck doesn't suit me, I have a worthy youngster next door who (at age 12) already plays better than me & would love to have this Pono. :)

I feel for sopranos one has to own a Ken Timms. The sound is unmatched across all price ranges and it is inexpensive for the effort put in and the sound.
After that a great sounding vintage Martin.
cripple creek makes very good sounding sopranos too but they have a more modern sound than a vintage one.
Chuck Moore makes really full sounding sopranos that are amazing but those are quite rare..

Kiwaya mahogany ukes are also worth a look for a "traditional" soprano sound! Closest to being a vintage Martin, without being a Martin!

If the long neck doesn't suit me, I have a worthy youngster next door who (at age 12) already plays better than me & would love to have this Pono. :)

Sounds like a great alternate game plan ! Great thinking. Good for you. Hope your Uke turns out to be just right for you though. Enjoy.

Top Bottom