Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buying advice for my 1st soprano

@ziret & @Graham Greenbag: I goofed -- should have written "super soprano" and not super tenor. I have corrected my post and shown my error.
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure it'll be a fantastic uke.
    However, I don't think it would be very soprano-like.

The feel and sound of a soprano comes not just from the body size, but the physical scale length (short) and tension of the strings.
    If my soprano had a long neck like a concert or tenor, it'll just sound like a small-bodied tenor, not a soprano!

The longer scale adds tension and vibrating length to the strings which will make it sound undoubtably like a tenor.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's my honest feedback!
    If the long neck doesn't suit me, I have a worthy youngster next door who (at age 12) already plays better than me & would love to have this Pono.
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

I feel for sopranos one has to own a Ken Timms. The sound is unmatched across all price ranges and it is inexpensive for the effort put in and the sound.
    After that a great sounding vintage Martin.
    cripple creek makes very good sounding sopranos too but they have a more modern sound than a vintage one.
    Chuck Moore makes really full sounding sopranos that are amazing but those are quite rare..

Kiwaya mahogany ukes are also worth a look for a "traditional" soprano sound! Closest to being a vintage Martin, without being a Martin!

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    If the long neck doesn't suit me, I have a worthy youngster next door who (at age 12) already plays better than me & would love to have this Pono.
    Sounds like a great alternate game plan ! Great thinking. Good for you. Hope your Uke turns out to be just right for you though. Enjoy.

Thread Information