I inherited a uke colection, and I need help IDing and appraising!

Go_Gaels

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum as of today, and was hoping you all could lend me your expertise. I recently inherited a collection of 60 ukuleles (along with some small guitars and other instruments and, as I know nothing about ukes, was wondering if you all would be willing to look and help me know what I have as well as what the individual instruments may be worth.

I've created an Imgur album here with multiple pictures of each instrument. For most of them I've included a DVD case to help give a sense of scale. If you wouldn't mind taking a look, that would be incredibly helpful. Each instrument is numbered for convenience as well.

I would also love to know what you think the best way would be to help these guys get out into the world. I'm not a musician, and even if I were to learn the uke, I definitely don't need 60 instruments. Would it be best to sell them piece by piece? Sell them as a lot to a music or uke specialty store? consignment?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing what you all think of my mother's collection.

You can reach me at kerneltime gmail
I will try to help as far as I can or forward you to other folks.
you can also post it here and get feedback in the forum..

Hi Go_Gaels,

There are a tremendous number of people on this Forum with extensive knowledge about ukuleles. I would like to encourage them to step up and help you with your request, especially with regard to suggestions as to who you might contact for assistance in selling them. I’m no expert, but after looking through the Imgur images for slightly under half of the collection, it’s clear that your mother had very good taste in ukuleles. Quite a few of them are from highly respected companies and individual luthiers. A lot of people on the Forum are going to wish they were in your shoes. :)

My condolences on the loss of your mother, and the best of luck in the handling of your inheritance.

Jan

There's some crazy good stuff there. I kept scrolling and it kept getting better and better. No idea who you could work with besides a uke-specific online store like MIM or UkeRepublic who might want to buy the lot (don't even know if they do used stuff, but the collection looks mostly exceptional). All you can do is ask. What looks to be upwards of $6-7-80,000 worth of instruments all together might be out of their budget, but maybe you could still sell a number at a time.

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: You might also just find someone who can guide you on the values and post the whole collection up for sale here or in other uke marketplaces - make-an-offer style - and see what you get.

Last edited:
Hi, If you decide to sell individually, I would be interested in #17, the Black Bear concert.

I just scrolled through half of them.
Most of them are really high end instruments.
A lot of them would cost more than $1500 from new.

Selling them individually would most likely give you the best price, if you have the patience for it.

With that many instruments and variety you might want to think about working with a reputable shop in your area selling on consignment. Otherwise you will have to post and sell ship insure and work through all those detail on your own. If your up for that great, otherwise it might worth the cost to go the consignment route.

Top Bottom