Buying advice: good tenor in $200-500 range

The KA-ATP-CTG-CE is a very good uke, especially for its price. There aren't many models its equal in the sub-$500 range.

I advise that you look for a used, simply appointed, high-quality ukulele that sells for $600-700 when new. A good starting place could be tracking down a used Kremona Mari (all mahogany) or Coco (cedar/rosewood).

Good luck. Finding a tenor that can equal the KA-ATP line without spending at least $600 may prove challenging.

eBay is a mixed bag though my overall experience is positive for ukes, Reverb is solid too, IME. I have had 2 perfect Hawaiian-made legacy brand uke transactions from eBay (plus 3 good transactions on blem novelty/plastics), a few from Reverb (1 misrepresented by seller but backed up by Reverb's terms/conditions & returned for full refund & no out of pocket from me for shipping, other than time/repacking).

My first tenor was a used Pono Mahogany I found on Ebay. While I wouldn't particularly recommend Ebay for used instruments, I love that sweet old Pono and would highly recommend one, either new or used.

Last edited:
All three of my Pono instruments were bought used. I wouldn't exactly say they hold their pricing value for resale as, in my observation, almost no ukulele does until one gets well into the 4 digit $USD zone. Even then only a (small?) subset will (see https://ukulelefriend.com, including "previously sold" -unlikely to find Ponos there but there are definitely Ko'olau). But Ponos do hold their value in a way that's tricky describe briefly. Base prices have increased for the deluxe or pro models. Not sure if it's at a rate higher than baseline models (which is how I judge uke makers, plus I am generally not big on "bling"). In any case, resale value is no longer a high priority when I am buying ukes.

One Pono was purchased on the marketplace forum here, one at a local long-standing reputable bricks & mortar shop, and one via Reverb. I could trace all three to previous owners/shops, which was cool/fun.
One of them was this https://vimeo.com/66360182, which 8 years ago listed for MSRP$1,099 /actual$769. I luckily bought used for it for within your stated price range, 2.5 years ago. It plays well/easily, is robustly built "like a guitar"... as opposed to lightly, like especially Kiwayas, which this shop also carries along w Kamakas, Kremonas hanging on the same shop wall (all brands I'd totally consider or own).

The Ponos I've picked up & played at the in-person shop were all well made, worth their cost IMO, especially the baseline, non-deluxe, non-pro models. But this is not just due to Pono at the manufacturing level. This shop would very unlikely ever sell an instruments that is inferior.
My understanding is instruments received at this shop that are too far off, in need of much more work than the set up that comes w each instrument purchase, get sent back to the manufacturer. They also carry 12-14 other brands consistently, including one not previously mentioned that starts with "K" (I was told they send ~1/3 of those ukes back... where who knows how many of those make it back to other online outlets).

Someone mentioned that Ponos have thicker neck profiles. Keep in mind there's also width. Ideally, I would want to pick up any decent uke & play it decently. There's something to be said for sticking w one instrument to have consistency as one gets more proficient. Ideally, I'd consistently practice, lol.

Bottom line, whatever you choose, seriously consider getting one that includes a professional set up (HMS currently ~3 week turnaround time IME, Mim's which right now gets filled to capacity shortly after when she resets at every Friday 9am Eastern time... lots of other indie shops worth checking like Gryphon/Palo Alto, Dusty Strings/Seattle). Humidifier = a must if uke lives in/near the Rockies.

Let us know what you end up getting! Uke shopping! Even vicariously, is fun!

The KA-ATP-CTG-CE is a very good uke, especially for its price. There aren't many models its equal in the sub-$500 range.

I advise that you look for a used, simply appointed, high-quality ukulele that sells for $600-700 when new. A good starting place could be tracking down a used Kremona Mari (all mahogany) or Coco (cedar/rosewood).

Good luck. Finding a tenor that can equal the KA-ATP line without spending at least $600 may prove challenging.

I’m glad you approve of my first “big” ukulele purchase! I’m a big fan of the sound on my Kala as well. Thanks for your input!

All three of my Pono instruments were bought used. I wouldn't exactly say they hold their pricing value for resale as, in my observation, almost no ukulele does until one gets well into the 4 digit $USD zone. Even then only a (small?) subset will (see https://ukulelefriend.com, including "previously sold" -unlikely to find Ponos there but there are definitely Ko'olau). But Ponos do hold their value in a way that's tricky describe briefly. Base prices have increased for the deluxe or pro models. Not sure if it's at a rate higher than baseline models (which is how I judge uke makers, plus I am generally not big on "bling"). In any case, resale value is no longer a high priority when I am buying ukes.

One Pono was purchased on the marketplace forum here, one at a local long-standing reputable bricks & mortar shop, and one via Reverb. I could trace all three to previous owners/shops, which was cool/fun.
One of them was this https://vimeo.com/66360182, which 8 years ago listed for MSRP$1,099 /actual$769. I luckily bought used for it for within your stated price range, 2.5 years ago. It plays well/easily, is robustly built "like a guitar"... as opposed to lightly, like especially Kiwayas, which this shop also carries along w Kamakas, Kremonas hanging on the same shop wall (all brands I'd totally consider or own).

The Ponos I've picked up & played at the in-person shop were all well made, worth their cost IMO, especially the baseline, non-deluxe, non-pro models. But this is not just due to Pono at the manufacturing level. This shop would very unlikely ever sell an instruments that is inferior.
My understanding is instruments received at this shop that are too far off, in need of much more work than the set up that comes w each instrument purchase, get sent back to the manufacturer. They also carry 12-14 other brands consistently, including one not previously mentioned that starts with "K" (I was told they send ~1/3 of those ukes back... where who knows how many of those make it back to other online outlets).

Someone mentioned that Ponos have thicker neck profiles. Keep in mind there's also width. Ideally, I would want to pick up any decent uke & play it decently. There's something to be said for sticking w one instrument to have consistency as one gets more proficient. Ideally, I'd consistently practice, lol.

Bottom line, whatever you choose, seriously consider getting one that includes a professional set up (HMS currently ~3 week turnaround time IME, Mim's which right now gets filled to capacity shortly after when she resets at every Friday 9am Eastern time... lots of other indie shops worth checking like Gryphon/Palo Alto, Dusty Strings/Seattle). Humidifier = a must if uke lives in/near the Rockies.

Let us know what you end up getting! Uke shopping! Even vicariously, is fun!

Pono love, huh? :shaka: :shaka: I’m not in a hurry, just taking my time and keeping the ole eyes open for the right instrument. Thanks for the info, and yes, I’m humidifying all day high up here in the Rockies.

what a beauty! Sounds great and I love watching the way the gentleman plays.

After going through 16 ukes under $200 the first year when I first started playing in 2013, Mim recommended the Kala Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top, acacia koa boy tenor cutaway with electronics for $370. I went to a store and compared it to a few of the $1000+ K brands and found it keep up very well, so I bought it, It's my go-to uke for the last 8 years.

Kala Cedar.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I recommend Noah ukuleles from Matt Cohen in Uk. Superb fit and finish. My spruce topped tenor plays like a dream. Excellent set up. I use Living Water strings from Ken Middleton, also UK.

Is there any truth to this list from the NY times? https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-ukulele-for-beginners/ I'm just starting out, and I'm looking to get a basic uke to learn the ropes on. I like the Luna model, but I'd love to hear your input. Mind you, my budget is limited so that's a factor as well. I could do $70 for a uke. Should I look for a used one maybe?

Where are you located? Some forum members might be able to direct you to a nearby music store. That'd be the best place to start.

I'm just starting out, and I'm looking to get a basic uke to learn the ropes on. I like Luna ukes, but I'd love to hear your input. Mind you, my budget is limited so that's a factor as well. I could do $70 for a uke. Should I look for a used one maybe?

I'd suggest the Kmise kmu26t package for $51 shipped (plus tax) on ebay... seriously.

I'm just starting out, and I'm looking to get a basic uke to learn the ropes on. I like Luna ukes, but I'd love to hear your input. Mind you, my budget is limited so that's a factor as well. I could do $70 for a uke. Should I look for a used one maybe?

That Wirecutter article in your original post was what guided me to an Alvarez as a starter uke. Prowling around the www revealed that the same uke was marketed with different graphics as the Grateful Dead model and it got a lot of positive comments. I'm happy with it, and it cost me about $100 less than a comparable uke from one of the specialty stores when factoring in shipping and other costs.

For $70, or even less, I think you can get a great starter uke in the Enya U model lineup, the Enya EU line, or the Flight TUS series. Look around here and on the www (especially ukestuff.com) for some of the glowing reviews and reports of how consistent these ukes are out of the box, meaning you probably will be OK without a professional setup.

"New" means more expensive, not necessarily better. I've bought lots of used ukuleles - more than a third of my collection - and most looked like they just came from the manufacturer. The few exceptions were the very old ones. I have several Kala cedar-top tenors, and they are a bargain. They look great and sound great, and they come with different numbers of strings.

The last tenor that I bought was $500 for a white label Kamaka. It has some premium features you can't get on new ukes like a koa fretboard, but it also has some sign of professional use over the decades. I certainly would not trade it for a new Kamaka, and it is light years away from generic mass produced ukes for that price. Just sayin...

The last tenor that I bought was $500 for a white label Kamaka. It has some premium features you can't get on new ukes like a koa fretboard, but it also has some sign of professional use over the decades. I certainly would not trade it for a new Kamaka, and it is light years away from generic mass produced ukes for that price. Just sayin...

How do I find such an instrument?!? Enlighten me!

I walked into a uke store and saw it hanging in a corner. I asked if it was for sale and how much. Many small local music stores buy and sell used or vintage instruments, some on consignment. I make it a habit to visit music stores wherever I am and keep my eyes open. Pawn shops can also have surprising treasures. Many of the gems are not to be found online.

I've bought Kamaka and Kanile'a ukuleles in great condition for $500 from the Ukulele Marketplace in this forum and also from Reverb. They occasionally show up. You have to be very patient.

Tyrone, I suggest starting your own thread, so as not to confuse the replies. The original OP had a higher budget, so people replying may be responding to him rather than your question.

Top Bottom