Osmo Poly X Uke finish

Wave Ukes

Reaction score
Hello All from Canada!

Following up on the previous Laquer thread here is my process for using Osmo! I have tried pretty much every other finish out there other than spray Laquer and this is by far the best so far!

Hope this helps someone out!

I have been using the Osmo Poly X 3031 Matte on my last 3 Ukes. Finish is holding up well and seems to be harder than tru oil! The matte sheen lets the wood look natural and the grain really pops!

Very easy quick application with minimum sanding and readily available !

Application

- sand to 220 ( I recently went to 320 on figured Maple as you could still see scratch marks)
- 1st coat is rubbed in with scotch brite type white pad (roughly 2” square)in swirling motion using a very small amount. Wood will absorb so add as needed and rub in for a good couple of minutes so you can see light film on the surface. Wait fo 4-6 minutes until you can see streek drying and then gently wipe surface off with clean white pad until almost dry looking. Using small paper towel pad (deluxe shop towel) wipe gently so the surface appears to be completely dry. Allow to dry overnight.
- Surface will already be very smooth due to polishing action of application but rub down very lightly with 500 and then 1000 pad. ( I have been using Sia Air).
Apply 2nd coat exactly as above, the wood will likely absorb less than the first coat. Allow 24 hours to dry.

- Knock back extremely lightly with 2000 pad and then apply 3rd. coat using only the shop towel pad.Apply very thin just creating a film over the surface and then lightly buff with clean shop towel pad so it appears dry.

It will be full dry to handle in 24 hours and I usually give it at least a week for full cure!

I haven’t been pore filling but have left the 220 sanding dust on deep pored Walnut and used it to create a slurry for the first coat with good success. Doesn’t completely fill but still looks great as the Matte doesn’t look shiny in the pore craters!

Cheers,

Steve

www.waveukes.ca

Attachments

• SG Ukelele 001.jpg
    SG Ukelele 001.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll maybe give it a go when I get back to making ukes. Sounds a lot easier than Tru Oil which has largely been my finishing material to date.

Top Bottom