Luthier Brian Griffin interview

I've watched that interview a couple of times over the past couple of days to make sure I didn't miss anything. When I built my first uke, a StewMac tenor kit, I wanted to deck it out with bindings and a side sound port. Brian was kind enough to sell me a Koa trim ring and curly Koa bindings for my build. I've corresponded with him a few more times over the past couple of years, and he has always been helpful and polite. His instruments are works of art, and his blog very informative.

Here is a recent article about Brian and his amazing background story. https://www.whatcomtalk.com/2021/05/12/meet-brian-griffin-a-bellingham-man-of-many-talents/

Fascinating and fun-- thank you!

This sentence puzzles me and makes me laugh:
"In the late 1990s, Griffin and a crew of more than five other men sailed across the Atlantic Ocean on a 50-foot sailboat."

... They were together on a 50 ft sailboat for however long it takes to cross the Atlantic, and are no longer sure of how many men were on the boat?

"Lessee, there was me, you, Fred, Stu, Bill, Dave and... Tom?"

"Tom was going to come, but had to bow out at the last minute. Fortunately, we found the twins."

"Okay, so me, you, Fred, Stu, Bill, and Jack and Chuck."

"That still doesn't seem right."

"I agree; let's call Stu-- he'll remember."

[call goes to voicemail.]

To interviewer: "Can you just put down, 'more than five other men'?"

:D

~ S.

I probably won’t see Brian in person until the next local ukulele group meets, whenever that may be. If I remember to ask about the sailing trip I will ask him about it.

A nice interview of Brian Griffin by Stu Fuchs. Brian is a wonderful person and I was with him when he delivered this particular ukulele to Stu (in person)

https://youtu.be/d5pYy3zBmpk

I finally had the opportunity to watch this through; thanks much for posting the link. I so enjoy connecting with makers and the works of their hands, and those who benefit from the same-- whether near and far.

I probably won’t see Brian in person until the next local ukulele group meets, whenever that may be. If I remember to ask about the sailing trip I will ask him about it.

Sounds a plan; I'd be interested to hear what he has to say (about the trip, and the wording the the interviewer chose), but of course no big deal if that particular string is never knotted. :)

~ S.

Top Bottom