New Ono Tenor - Claro Walnut and Port Orford Cedar

saltytri

Reaction score
I've just completed this 17 inch tenor and it will soon be available at TheUkuleleSite.com. The back and sides are remarkably figured and colored claro walnut. The one piece back is unusual because it's not easy to find wood of this quality that is wide enough. The top is master grade Port Orford Cedar conventionally braced with three Carpathian Spruce tone bars. The fretboard and bridge are Macassar ebony and the bindings are bloodwood.

51159051642_199e1615c8_b.jpg

51160822580_d97be58498_b.jpg

51160822495_517dd927e7_b.jpg

51159954928_8b66f1a6c1_b.jpg

Last edited:
So pretty, and looking forward to hearing it played by skilled hands!

This looks like a masterpiece!

I used to be disappointed that many gorgeous and wonderful hand made ukes were tenor sized, which I do not play. Now I breathe a sigh of relief as I would want to purchase and own so many of these.

Looking forward to seeing this on the HMS site.

[Long drawn out whistle] Wow! David, that walnut is staggeringly beautiful! I wondered if it was a single piece.

Is this a mellow sounding tenor with the cedar top and the walnut body?

Your instruments are always wonderful. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'll look for it on the HMS website.

This looks like a masterpiece!

I used to be disappointed that many gorgeous and wonderful hand made ukes were tenor sized, which I do not play. Now I breathe a sigh of relief as I would want to purchase and own so many of these.

Looking forward to seeing this on the HMS site.

Me too. It's absolutely stunning but I can't play a tenor. Saves me money lol.

I don't own an Ono, but David is my favorite builder hands down. The ukes are always gorgeous in a simple understated way and they sound beautiful on the recordings. This one is no different. Well done!

Wow, that's a beautiful ukulele. And a great wood combination. I look forward to hearing the sound sample on HMS.

[Long drawn out whistle] Wow! David, that walnut is staggeringly beautiful! I wondered if it was a single piece.

Is this a mellow sounding tenor with the cedar top and the walnut body?

Your instruments are always wonderful. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'll look for it on the HMS website.

Thanks, Ken!

Yes, Port Orford cedar does tend to be less bright than any of the spruces. There is somewhat more of the mid tones and less of the harmonic overtones that contribute to the character and brightness of spruce tops. Of course, there is plenty of room for personal preferences in both directions!

Thanks to all for your kind words! I'm also looking forward to the sound sample by the amazing musicians at HMS. Those people make builders look, or should I say sound, as good as we can be.

I've just completed this 17 inch tenor and it will soon be available at TheUkuleleSite.com....

David, why do you torment me so? I have two of your baritones (one a fantastic custom, and one a fabulous six-string) and a delightful tenor, and yet whenever you post a new uke, my first thought is "I wonder if this one is available." I can't wait to see the sound sample!

Wow, that is one of the best looking ukes i've ever seen David! What a beautiful single piece back! Look forward to hearing the sound sample for this one. I'm inspired to pull out the one and only uke i've ever had built to order.

I’m so glad that’s a tenor so I don’t feel bad that I can’t own it. I love your ukes and that one is particularly beautiful.

Such a beautiful ukulele, and it sounds fantastic, too.
I hope that whoever gets this ukulele enjoys it!

Top Bottom