How often do you play ukulele?

I play anywhere from once to five times a week. My choice of ukes is somewhat seasonal. In the depth of the cold dry NE Winter I favor the Flight which I can leave out on my desk while the solids have to stay in the humidified cases. As the humidity gets more normal in the Spring the solids come out like flowers and are hung around the walls.

Around 30 minutes, at least 5-6 times a week. For the past year I've been playing at a Zoom open mic once a week, so that keeps me busy coming up with new songs to perform. My local group has been doing Zoom jams/workshops 1-2 times a month, and I join other distanced Zoom or Facebook Live jams weekly. Pre-pandemic, I played with my church worship band every Sunday. This past year, we've done church service on Zoom, and I'm on a once a month rotation to play a solo for the service. All of these uke activities, even though they are online, have pushed me to learn at lot of new material and to maintain my practice time.

Next week I'm starting back at my local children's hospital as a music volunteer......Yipeeeee. Once a week for an hour. Instrumental music only. I had retired from the hospital last year (40 years as a pediatric RN), and I was so looking forward to being a music volunteer. Now I'm scrambling to bulk up my chord melody repertoire. I'm so excited to get back to the hospital and share music with the kids, families, and staff.

2 sessions/day, 6 days/week with an average session length of 50 minutes. This does not include tooling around/noodling.

I do play one instrument in particular 6 days/week, but for the most part, I select instruments most closely matched to my current objectives. Sometimes, this means I play 3 ukes in a single day; other times, it means certain instruments don't leave their cases for 2 weeks to 2 months. I am currently building arrangements and expanding my repertoire and am usually working up 1-3 pieces or refining 1-2 pieces for performance, so I tend to select the ukes most conducive to those purposes on a piece-by-piece basis.

Every day. The only day I have taken off in the last 3-4 years was the day after my second Moderna shot. Spent that entire day flat on my back on the couch. I usually practice 1.5 to 2 hours a day. I usually take one day where I'll do no more than an hour to give my hands a break. Most of the time I work in sessions of 20-30 minutes. Being retired and spending more time at home with the pandemic has made it easier.

Every day as well. I keep the uke handy so that I can pick it up throughout the day, even if it's just for a few minutes at a time. I've never kept track of how long I'm playing each day because that just seems too regimented for something that gives me joy. If I had to guess, it's probably about half hour a day spread out, but it varies.

2 sessions/day, 6 days/week with an average session length of 50 minutes. This does not include tooling around/noodling.

I do play one instrument in particular 6 days/week, but for the most part, I select instruments most closely matched to my current objectives. Sometimes, this means I play 3 ukes in a single day; other times, it means certain instruments don't leave their cases for 2 weeks to 2 months. I am currently building arrangements and expanding my repertoire and am usually working up 1-3 pieces or refining 1-2 pieces for performance, so I tend to select the ukes most conducive to those purposes on a piece-by-piece basis.

Do you post your music online, or here? I’d like to hear it.

When I started, I decided to try to play at least 5 minutes per day. If at the end of that time, I wasn't motivated to keep playing, I could put the ukulele away. That did happen sometimes, but mostly not. I was up to an hour or 2 per day, (sometimes more), prior to the pandemic.

Somehow, even though I was home a lot more, I had far less time to play during the pandemic. Maybe it's due to less structured time, or changed schedule, but much time - especially initially - was spent on Zoom meetings, webinars, redoing things so work could continue remotely, and so on. And hunting down PPE. Hard to find at first.

Fast forward to current times, and one job is gone, and the other, I just found out, is mostly gone, (and I wonder how long it will last at all, though I'm set for at least through the summer.) So, while humming "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" to myself, I'm hoping to get in a lot more time for music. I've been back up to around an hour per day for the most part, but now that my schedule is freeing up a lot more, the up side is that maybe I can get more time than that in.

Like peanuts56, that 2nd Moderna shot knocked me down, but since I've had several COVID exposures at work, (since we don't Zoom anything anymore), I figure it was important anyway, even though I couldn't even do my 5 minutes with the ukulele for a couple days. And yes, deciding which arm to get the shot in was determined by which I thought would be less likely to limit playing the ukulele no matter how sore my arm got.

I rotate which ukuleles I'm playing, but have developed a favorite reentrant and a favorite linear, so will have to decide if I'm going to stick to those and sell the others. But, as soon as I think about selling one, I suddenly must play that one, and love it. :) They all stay in their cases, but are all handy to grab, so it's easy to rotate through them.

So, off to play a bit before spending mother's day with my mom. I'm lucky. Ukuleles and getting to be with my mom. A good day.

I'm only a couple months into it, and try to practice every day. I'm currently working from home and keep three ukes up on the wall in my office so I can grab one when I have down time (or I'm stuck on a boring conference call). Most of my practice/online lessons happen at night once my kid is asleep, which means I usually only have 20-45 minutes a day.

With so many posts, perhaps a poll would have made things easier to get an overview of.

For me it varies from 1-6 days a week. Probably an average of 3-4 days a week, practice sessions from 30 min to an hour. Participating in the Seasons of the Ukulele challenge it ofte s depends on this weeks challenge what I am trying to learn. Sometimes i put in a 5 min practice in the morning before I go to work, if I feel like i need the extra repetition.

Probably a half hour or more a day. I'm trying to get better at a focused practice instead of repeating the same things to make them perfect (as if). If I'm watching the idiot box I'm at least running some kind of riff, arpeggio, or movable chords just to develop the muscle memory on it. I just joined a zoom class to learn ear training and interval training so I can learn that better.
I almost always play my Kala cedar because I love the sound of it. The cheap soprano I bought just feels awkward in my hands, but it may just be because my hands aren't used to the fret spacing.

Anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours, almost every day. I go into withdrawal if I miss a day. I'd probably make better progress if I had a fixed practice routine, but that's too much like work. I play for fun!

I'll probably play 5 hrs a week. I teach private and group ukulele so that adds another 4 hrs.
My main instrument is guitar so I play/practice/gig with that a lot more.

Every day from 30 to 90 minutes. I only started just over 3 months ago, so I find it really exciting still. Most often I use my Cort soprano or Snail tenor, depending on mood. When the soprano first arrived, I did not player the tenor for a week but now I need both in my life, sometimes in the same day.

Every day from 30 to 90 minutes. I only started just over 3 months ago, so I find it really exciting still. Most often I use my Cort soprano or Snail tenor, depending on mood. When the soprano first arrived, I did not player the tenor for a week but now I need both in my life, sometimes in the same day.
My first, and only, electric guitar 20 years ago was a Cort strat. Black and white. Thanks for the memory.

I play everyday, usually for an hour or so and mostly in the mornings. Working on lessons in Artistworks and ULTP and honing some slack key pieces. I also do a bit of work on pieces we play in our local ensemble but since we haven’t played together in person in such a long time I usually find myself using the zoom meetups as a chance to experiment with improv ideas.

Fifteen minutes to an hour every day. If I haven't touched one of my ukes, then the day doesn't seem quite right.

Top Bottom