Hi from Sheffield (UK)

dr_mitch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just started the ukulele on a whim at the start of February, after a conversation with a friend about musical instruments. The ukulele I purchased was junk (intonation wrong - if the open strings are in tune, the fretted strings aren’t - I guess you get what you pay for at 30 quid), but it was enough to set me playing some basic chord sequences and to hook me.

I now have better quality concert and tenor ukuleles. The dreaded UAS is starting to set in as I now “need” a better quality soprano. This time I’ve done my research.

But playing with the ukulele has brought me such fun, and I did not know what I was missing. I tend to play 30 to 90 minutes each day to the consternation of my partner. I have recorded a couple of songs to help me and amuse friends and family (as bad as you might expect after less than 3 months). I can strum and sing at the same time if the strumming pattern is simple. I can play the E chord when not within an actual tune.

I look forward to more play, more songs, and maybe, just maybe, slow improvement. But the fun is there, and I am glad I discovered it.

Last edited:
By the way, I sound stilted as posts seem to cut off at the sight of apostrophes.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to UU dr_mitch and a big hello from Chicago, USA

Hello from a few miles down the road!

Hi Mitch. As a fellow newbie - yes UAS happens quick. I didn't know what UAS was at first but I have quickly been struck with the affliction. You can always pass on extra Ukes to family or friends. ;)

Enjoy yourself and have fun. Lot's of good info here.

Welcome to UU, dr_mitch!

A post like yours makes me smile as it is so recognisable to many of us. It's an incredibly versatile instrument, despite the fact that so many people still regard them to be toys. Here it's a no secret that they can adapt to your musical needs and wishes, if you're up for the challenge to grow your skills with them. As for UAS: different tools for different jobs. Once you've found that soprano that speaks to you, why not look around for a baritone? We're all enablers here ;)

Enjoy your new hobby!

Hi dr_Mitch! Welcome to the UU Forum. Glad you found us.

UAS can be a powerful drug. Set your limits before it gets too strong. Then have fun.

If you're looking for a nice soprano, S Wales luthier, Kevin Mulcock of KM ukuleles makes some very reasonably priced beauties, but he had to suspend operations for a while. He works full time in the NHS as an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner), and the pandemic is more urgent and demanding of his time. I don't know his current situation. But,he's worth a look: km-ukuleles.com

Cheers!

Hello dr_mitch! I am just down the road from you in Derbyshire.

I am putting a couple of ukes up on the for sale section soon if you want a really, really good soprano and can collect locally.

Ha ha, thanks again. I'm glad my experiences are relatable to other beginners and those who remember being beginners. I will browse the For Sale section. I also have lustful thoughts about the KM Ukuleles. Objects of beauty.

And I definitely want to try out a baritone at some point. What I'll probably do is move eventually to something really nice in my preferred size (at the moment I really like my Snail tenor while recognising it's still a laminate beginner's instrument, but we'll see how I get on with a functional soprano).

Welcome from the other side of the Pennines.
One luthier that you should look up is Rob Collins as Tinguitar. He's based in Hebden Bridge. I haven't got one of his ukes (yet) but the reviews are amazing.
Check out gotaukulele website for reviews on all types of ukes.
Good luck.

Thanks again. I do really like the gotaukulele site - some tips and lots of fair reviews. It's thanks to that site that I bought my latest ukulele - a Cort Soprano, which is now the most beautiful one I own, and my first all-solid wood. It's good to see there are several UK-based luthiers that people are recommending too.

Welcome aboard! Yes, Got A Ukulele is about the best review site you could find. Baz really knows what he's doing.

Top Bottom