Thread: Hamano U30 Soprano - REVIEW

Default Hamano U30 Soprano - REVIEW

A look at the cheap end from Hamano - a brand I remember impressing me with their H-100. Less so here..

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2021/05/...le-review.html
    Got A Ukulele - leading independent uke review site

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert

Thanks, nice to see a not-so-great review once in a while. Did you ever review one of the new Koalana sopranos?

Thanks. Afraid not. We rarely if ever see them on these shores.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert

I think these are literally rebranded Mahalos.

Everything about it seems identical to a Mahalo U30..... they didn't even bother changing the model number.
    Even the font/style of the headstock logo is exactly how Mahalo do their's.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    I think these are literally rebranded Mahalos.

Everything about it seems identical to a Mahalo U30..... they didn't even bother changing the model number.
    Even the font/style of the headstock logo is exactly how Mahalo do their's.
    That’s pretty much what I thought too though my quite old U30 (friction tuners were still standard fit on it) has a 36mm nut and 28.5 mm over (Aquila) g to a. IMHO there’s a few others about too that look very much like the old (Mahalo) U30, I suspect that there’s someone churning these out in China and putting whatever name on the headstock that’s asked for - the narrower nut is (sadly) now standard too. As far as I know the old U30’s were never made by Mahalo, just their name on the headstock; and as far as I know the current Mahalo range are made by that company in their own factory which isn’t in China.

Maybe I’m completely wrong but my suspicion is that a lot of the made in China Ukes are clones with different names on their headstocks and maybe a bit of slightly different trim. I’ve no ‘real’ issue with that situation provided prices are similar but sometimes they can be very different; I don’t like being asked to pay what appears to be inflated prices for the ‘right’ name on the headstock. Of course YMMV and I could be completely mistaken.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-09-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Hang on Baz, are you actually using a different jingle on the intro of the video depending on whether the uke is recommended/got a good score or not?

I appreciate your reviews, Baz, and I really hope that some beginners watch them before they buy. Most of them won't listen to me....or they come to me with their ill advised purchases and want me to make them sound better.
    I pity the fools.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Almost certainly a re-badge - not least because so many of them are. Putting it another way, there are far more ukulele 'brands' in China than there are production lines!

And it's not just at the cheap end... Many of the Clearwater models (the bowlbacks) are re-badged Ohana instruments. What's interesting there (in view of Grahams comment on price differentials) is that the Clearwater versions (identical bar the logo) are about half the price of the Ohanas. But then, I've always thought Ohana ukuleles were over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Hang on Baz, are you actually using a different jingle on the intro of the video depending on whether the uke is recommended/got a good score or not?
    I actually always did - the original was either a major chord or a minor chord. Just made it more obvious now!

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    I actually always did - the original was either a major chord or a minor chord. Just made it more obvious now!
    Cheeky, cheeky... I honestly didn't notice that with the old intro jingle at all.

Thread Information