Season 482 - I'm Entirely Not Sure

My wife is slowly recovering from her stroke but she needs a lot more attention. So finding time to make recordings isn't always easy. I've managed to get something done for this week, though.

This one's a question of time but no one seems to know the answer. Gorgeous song written by Sandy Denny.

This is a Sam Phillips song. The Sam Phillips who used to be married to T-Bone Burnett, not the Sun Records guy. And not YorkSteve's wife.

An Elvis Costello song. I've tried and I've tried, and I'm still mystified.

This is the same song I covered earlier in the week, but this time with the baritone uke plugged in and some keyboard and rhythm additions, making it closer to Snow Patrol’s original.

My second for this week is another song I wrote during FAWM (February Album Writing Month). Melodically, I think it is one of the most interesting I wrote during that period.

Hope you can drift off with my:

I Wonder Why by Dion and The Belmonts.

Big guilele,Ukulele, Epi 175 and Djembe rim and sticks .

Last edited:
Ahoy
I have been having a draining month, thus far, as April/May are the busiest months for teachers in Iceland (and probably elsewhere as well). Tom Waits has been at the top of my playlist recently so I thought why not try a Waits song.
Here is my rendition of his mysterious 'What's He Building?'

Hi Ryan! Here is one I first heard as a child performed by David Cassidy. He was a big fan of The Young Rascals, who originally recorded this tune in 1967.

How Can I Be Sure
Felix Cavaliere and Eddie Brigati

Here is my third contribution this week. It's yet another song from FAWM 2021. For this one the prompt was we had to write a song based on the title of a movie that the host provided us with. I was sent "The Shining" - and this was the result. I hope you like my twisted little story about a seriously twisted film.

Words paint a picture, a picture that could be by a Cubist, difficult to comprehend but giving
Just a hint of meaning, something that is mysterious... troubling threatening dangerous, creating
an uneasy feeling in the subconscious... a subliminal sonic soundscape

This one's got Don't Know right there in the title!

Last edited:
Moby meets John Lee Hooker for a Woody Guthrie song (links to their versions in video description)
What exactly did Ezekiel see whirling in the air? Was he spaced out from eating bread cooked over cow dung?
Was he seeing things? Were the visions hallucinations? Was he seeing constellations or flying saucers?
Or was it so mysterious that he had no words to describe it except a wheel within a wheel?
Here is my appropriately atmospheric soundscape.

Geoff's cover of "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" made me want to try this other Fairport Convention song I'd been thinking about. Fairport's record producer Joe Boyd was friends with Joni Mitchell, and as a result had demos of some unrecorded Joni songs. Fairport ended up recording two of those songs on their first album the year before Mitchell released them herself. This is one of them, and my arrangement is based on the Fairport version.

Hello again, Ryan! I wasn't going to post this, because I had a bit of a problem uploading it from my phone and I'm not sure whether the original upload is in 360p rather than 720p, which is what it's supposed to be. But, blow it ... it took a while to put the final video together, and it's Saturday night, and I think it fits your theme; so, publish and be damned ...

Totally cheating here, LOL. This is a video I made for Linda, wow, seven years ago! Maybe somebody would like to learn the song now. I don’t think angels have been covered this week. Do they exist or not?

Very late to the table for my last entry.

Poetry and poetic song lyrics often have a sense of mystery about them.

In general, that is not my style. I prefer the song lyrics that I write to be straightforward and unequivocal.

However, back in February, I was challenged to write a song in the style of Leonard Cohen. I chose to write one that echoes the feel of his first two albums. This entry was the result.

It was especially re-recorded (on video) for this Season.

I hope any die-hard LC fans here will forgive this blasphemy.

Hope you enjoy:

Top Bottom