Season 482 - I'm Entirely Not Sure

Hello, sorry, it's me again. This popped into my head during a meeting this afternoon and I had to record it before I realised what a terrible idea it was (I did at least wait until the end of the meeting).

If you have some kind of mystery to solve, and you don't know what's going on, what you really need is a bunch of meddling - perhaps even pesky - kids, and a terrified dog. So, here you go:

Todd Snider's Statistician's Blues

It's not a blues but it does fit the theme.

I may have changed a bunch of Todd's percentages. I don't believe he does 'em the same every time.

Last edited:
a homemade song for the season. i grew up with the idea that bumblebee flight violated all the laws of physics. i understand that theory has long since been debunked, however the idea these wonderful little creatures somehow magically defy gravity and aerodynamics, is surely too irresistible to really let go of!

Hi Ryan! Here’s one for you from The King And I, from 1951. I considered shaving my head for this one but thought better of it.

A Puzzlement
Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II

SOTU 482 - "Secret Garden," by Bruce Springsteen. I've always thought this was a really cool song. It's about knowing someone intimately, yet never completely knowing them - "her secret garden she hides." Kevin Griffin helps out greatly on steel stringed tenor uke and foot taps. I strum along on Pono baritone. I had forgotten the song was on the soundtrack to the movie "Jerry Maguire," which is one my favorites.

Last edited:
Pretty good idea for a season Ryan. Thanks for hosting. And apologies to Ralf :). This is the first song that popped into my head. "It's all a mystery..."

Very appropriate considering the thunderstorm we have just had here.

Guys, I've been a terrible host. Was intending to catch up today but got waylayed. Play list is up to date, I'm going to endeavour to listen to it now.

Here's a mysterious tale about a journey into the unknown from the Handsome Family...

(I used a 'horizontal stretch' effect to add to the mysterious atmosphere but only succeeded in making my nose intermittently huge...)

seeing is believing... though sometimes you see on you just can't believe what you're seeing.
there must be a rational scientific explanation but somehow you can't fathom it. it's a mystery.

Hello, Ryan ... sorry, I'm a bit late to the party this week! I'm struggling with our new Fibre Broadband, which is currently not allowing me to connect the devices I normally use to record. This was recorded on my phone and then uploaded down the hill, where I could get a signal ... the phone also won't connect to the new box at the moment! Anyway, I am an ENIGMA ...

Right, I am finally caught up!(apart from Val which i will watch ASAP)

You guys are smashing it this week. So much good stuff.

Here's one from me because i never turn down an opportunity to play it.

This is a Belle and Sebastian song, written and originally sung by Isobel Campbell who has since gone on to a solo career. The narrator here isn't sure about lots of things and asks a lot of questions, but doesn't seem to be all that keen on finding out the answers. "I know the truth awaits me, but still I hesitate because of fear..."

On baritone 8 string, with a tenor uke and possibly going a little overboard with the overdubs.

Here's one I came across that I like:

My first entry for this week is a short story in song. We don't know where or when it is set? We don't know the nature of the strangers... But we can sympathise with the protagonist.

I hope you enjoy:

Top Bottom