Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absolutely hate installing frets

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cliff View Post
    Ken, I'm surprised! Surely you need a different torque setting depending on the density of the fretboard? Softer woods would need less force to seat the fret? I would have thought you would have measured the required force per species and established a table for such eventualities? Very slap-dash. (Joking obviously).
    You don’t have to just rely on the torque wrench clicking when it reaches goal..you can stop before it clicks if you think it is tight enough and you can add more pressure after the click if you think it needs it...or even not use a torque wrench just use the handle that comes with the press, like the Stewmac one
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cliff View Post
    Matt, presumably you have pre-bent the wire if it is a radiused board?
    Sorry, Red, didn't see your question before this. I don't do radiused fretboards, though I might try it someday. I have a small cnc router, so making them wouldn't be hard, and I've seen plans for bending fretwire to the proper curve using nylon sliding glass door casters. I think the chamfer method the guys are talking about will help, as it's a matter of getting them partially seated by hand before I put them under the caul or hammer that's the hard part. If it ain't right, they go sideways, and can mark up the board, even if you don't get a chip like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    they go sideways, and can mark up the board, even if you don't get a chip like I did.
    I feel your pain 'cause it does happen (occasionally) to me too. Just as the hammer comes down the damn thing slips sideways and bam you get a little crease on the fretboard. Yup.

A good reason to make fretless instruments!

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I feel your pain 'cause it does happen (occasionally) to me too. Just as the hammer comes down the damn thing slips sideways and bam you get a little crease on the fretboard. Yup.
    I have had that as well...I tried folding a piece of tape around the wire end with the tab in line with the tang so I could line it up straight before the hammer tap...it worked a bit but not ideal.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I radius my boards, but even on a flat fretboard a little bit of radius just done by hand with the fret nippers on the tang will make it easier to tap the fret ends in first. Small uke wire is really easy to ding up hammering by hand. The fret press works best. On the SM press, if you shim the caul so that it is more proud of the holder, it makes it much easier to see what you are doing. Purfling makes an easy shim.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    Sorry, Red, didn't see your question before this. I don't do radiused fretboards, though I might try it someday. I have a small cnc router, so making them wouldn't be hard, and I've seen plans for bending fretwire to the proper curve using nylon sliding glass door casters. I think the chamfer method the guys are talking about will help, as it's a matter of getting them partially seated by hand before I put them under the caul or hammer that's the hard part. If it ain't right, they go sideways, and can mark up the board, even if you don't get a chip like I did.
    Instead of using a hammer to start one end of the fret like most folks here do, I use a pair of pliers with the jaws ground smooth to start the fret. Seems I have more control that way.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Hi again Matt...maybe this little device I imagined up would help you get the fret wire the right way up when you hammer it in at one end. I made it from some brass shim, but a tin can would do just as well...Video of test run on a scrap piece of timber. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECHbLjV7Jw
    23001EA1-0DE3-4884-A397-7D0EE74E97F6 by Ken Timms,

3285641B-25F1-436C-9D1C-7372EBEA3493 by Ken Timms,
    Last edited by Timbuck; 05-10-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Oh, that's a fine idea, Ken! I was trying to grip it with some curved hemostats with tape on them to keep them from marring the frets, curved side down to keep from marring the board. It was a frustrating exercise all on its own.

Thread Information