DGBE Tunomg on Tenor

spirittoo

Reaction score
I'd like to have DGBE tuning on my acoustic tenor uke would I have to switch the C string to the fourth string for D and the low G to the third and make the A string the B string? Or should I use other strings?:confused:

Thanks for reading my post. :nana:

Sorry about the title ... didn't see the typo until after I posted. Tuning

Last edited:
I have fitted Aquila Nylgut Baritone DGBE strings to a tenor ukulele and it works fine, just like that.
The string tension is low of course but its not so low that the instrument is unplayable.

Many threads on this. You need different strings. Use the middle 4 strings of a normal tension classical guitar set or middle 4 of a "guitalele" set.

Wellsir ... I looked up the thread dealing with this issue and it made things more confusing :drool::uhoh: So I will try the baritone strings I have and see how it sounds. :music: Thanks for reading my post.:nana:

Like Jim Hanks and Bill1 just said, carefully try a few combinations. I think dGBE sounds better on a Tenor as it is hard to get a low D to sound good on that scale length. But that's just me.

A nylon .036 would work for the re-entry d string.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Otherwise, a tried and tested method is using the ADGB strings from a classical guitar set (normal tension recommended) and tune up to DGBE.

I used a set of Fremont high D tenor strings paired with a Fremont soloist wound string. The soloist is marketed as a low G for soprano through tenor, but works (for me) just fine as a low D on the Flight Phantom tenor.

I used the replacement strings I had for my baritone uke ... at first I had it tuned too low because the strings were a bit loose. So I carefully tuned up a octave. The strings are settling in, and it sounds okay. This is what I plan to do with the Fight uke when I get it in July probably. I don't know if it's a high or low D. I would guess high. Now I have the option of DGBE or GCEA tuning on my tenor ukes.

If I have learned one thing from the UU community it is that sometimes you need to tune up or down a half-step or more to make a set of strings sound their best with a particular uku. I have found this to hold true for other lutes too. I keep one of my guitars tuned below standard because the looser strings are so fun to bend.

I used the replacement strings I had for my baritone uke ... at first I had it tuned too low because the strings were a bit loose. So I carefully tuned up a octave. The strings are settling in, and it sounds okay. This is what I plan to do with the Fight uke when I get it in July probably. I don't know if it's a high or low D. I would guess high. Now I have the option of DGBE or GCEA tuning on my tenor ukes.

When talking about Low vs High tuning we are talking about the tuning of the 4th string or the string closest to your face as you hold the instrument, usually d or g. Low tuning is also linear tuning so the 4th string has the lowest pitch.
High tuning, also called reentrant tuning has the 4th string tuned up an octave so that now the 3rd string is lowest in pitch and the reentrant string is now only 2 semitones lower in pitch than the highest string.

Low pitch strings will be wound or quite thick. High/reentrant strings will be about the same size as the highest string.

Aquilla offers a DGBE set for tenors with a high D. I used the A string from a classical guitar set for a low D. It works just fine. I have that set-up on an Outdoor tenor uke.

When talking about Low vs High tuning we are talking about the tuning of the 4th string or the string closest to your face as you hold the instrument, usually d or g. Low tuning is also linear tuning so the 4th string has the lowest pitch.
High tuning, also called reentrant tuning has the 4th string tuned up an octave so that now the 3rd string is lowest in pitch and the reentrant string is now only 2 semitones lower in pitch than the highest string.

Low pitch strings will be wound or quite thick. High/reentrant strings will be about the same size as the highest string.

Oh I see now ... wellsir in that case I have the low D which is what I prefer. I only want my concert uke to have a reentrant string. Thanks for clearing that up.:eek:

Top Bottom