Tenor strings to add some sparkle

jricc

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything, hence this thread. I have an Ohana Tk-20 solid mahogany top, lam back and sides. Strung with a low G , D'Addario EJ99TLG Pro-Art strings.

Anyone with a suggestion for strings to add some sparkle?
Thanks in advance.

-joe

When I hear "sparkle" I think of brighter sounds. If that's what you mean: You already have bright strings on. Maybe try high g instead of low? I think the original variety of Aquila might be even brighter than fluorocarbon but I'm not sure.

Yes Jer, bright sounding. I'll check out the Aquila. Thanks.
I'll also check out the Fremont Blackline, thanks peanuts56.

-joe

I was just looking at some Aquila. I'm not even sure what their brightest set is now... I just know the early ones were pretty bright and many people actually didn't like them for that reason except on ukes that were laminate or warmer sounding to begin with. Maybe someone can comment more there, and on whether or not that formulation is even available. It may be that they don't have anything brighter than some fluoros out now. I haven't tried Aquila in ages. I hope you find what you're looking for. I usually try several different sets and take notes. I have been surprised sometimes to find a set I didn't think I'd like was quite good to me years. I mainly use the D'Addario you have on now on any size..

Appreciate it Jer. Thanks for checking into the Aquila strings out for me.

Last edited:
When I hear "sparkle" I think of brighter sounds. If that's what you mean: You already have bright strings on. Maybe try high g instead of low? I think the original variety of Aquila might be even brighter than fluorocarbon but I'm not sure.

Yes a high G is needed to create a sparkly ukulele sound, otherwise more like little guitar with capo.

Top Bottom