Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Tool You Would Normally Not Purchase but Glad You Did

Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
    I believe that he did mean to refer to Kreg.
    Sorry about that ..I must have got mixed up with another tool with with a similar name .....nick clegg.jpg
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Guitars View Post
    You can give SM $44.12 for that nut and saddle vice, which BTW works great but I sold mine, or get a much more versatile vise on Amazon for $27.99. Unbolt the jaws, take them to a sander, put an angle on the top like the SM vise. Quick release and opens to 4", plus light weight, which matters to old guys like me. Bolt it to a piece of wood with a cleat on the bottom and use it in another vise like you normally would the SM one. Search for a Bora Drill Press Vise on Amazon Smile.
    Bob! in the past Ive held small items like nuts and saddles in a vice like that one and run them through the thickness sander to level them ..it works great.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 05-15-2021 at 03:50 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I brought that roller skate into the 21st century by throwing away the springs and the clip and adding a rubber band. Ken, I bought the tool before I had a mill. You could mill it out of alumnum in no time at all and I bet you'd like it.
    As my nuts and saddles are mostly made with Ebony and they are all more or less the same soprano size and profile , I make them in long lengths and then cut them off to size and i only have to shape the nut ends.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 05-14-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Ken,
    Same with me. My nuts and saddles are mostly black micarta, so I also run them in lengths. I keep a stock of lengths plus or minus a few 10ths of a mm to accommodate slight variations in the slot between the fretboard and headcap.

Ken,
    Same with me. My nuts and saddles are mostly black micarta, so I also run them in lengths. I keep a stock of lengths plus or minus a few 10ths of a mm to accommodate slight variations in the slot between the fretboard and headcap.
    So "great minds think alike.. or fools rarely differ" its got to be one or the other

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    nut files. I used welding nozzle cleaners initially but so much easier with the correct files.
    Yeah I use the nozzle cleaners too, but am thinking about getting some files. The nozzle cleaners don't seem to work well on some of the nut material. What I want is something to dress the top of frets better. Sharp edges on the side are easy with a nail file, but it the rounding the top.

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    but it the rounding the top.
    Put your nuts in a vise and use a course bastard file to take off that edge and round. Surprising how quick you can remove material. Then use a finer file to get rid of the file marks then some sand paper and viola! a nice rounded nut.

P.S. Ditch the torch cleaner files and get proper nut files. The cleaner files clog and are not aggressive enough. Been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    So "great minds think alike.. or fools rarely differ" its got to be one or the other
    Ken- Once one reaches a certain age, it's always "great minds". Fortunately, or unfortunately, I think we're both there!-Bob

I use pcb carbide router bits in a USB rechargeable rotary tool. I establish the slots and approximate depth with a junior hacksaw and a masking tape covered jigsaw blade as a depth stop. Then I finesse things with the router bits.
    My friends call me Titch. I have been known to clown.
    Ian Titulaer is my normie name.

https://sites.google.com/site/titchtheclown/

Thread Information