Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Room Acoustics

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Yes, I know from years of concert hall experience that audiences soak up (deaden) the sound. On stage, you usually have a hard surface floor, and some hard surface backstops, or even some hard surface over hangs. But, in all the concert halls I've seen that were acoustically engineered, there are strategically placed baffles and no hard surfaces in the audience area. I've always puzzled about why the sound is better on stage with hard surfaces, but in the audience with baffles. It "baffles" me. Another baffling thing is practice rooms. In all the schools I've attended, practice rooms are totally wrapped with baffles of one type or another. They are dead, dead, dead! I hated playing in those places. I know the basic idea is to isolate the sound so it won't bother other players. But it seems some thought could be given to making the sound better inside the room for the person using it.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I just started back as a music volunteer at the children's hospital. Instrumental music only, no singing. They have a music space cordoned off in the first floor lobby. Unfortunately, it's in a corner, kind of under the stairs. The lobby is very large, open, with lots of people coming & going. Background noise is an issue. I'm plugging into my Roland AC-33 amp which helps. I'm back this afternoon to play, and I'll work on my positioning & amp volume to see if I can improve things. I need to find someone to listen to my playing and give me feedback on the sound. To me, I can't hear myself very well.

But hey.....I'm playing in public, for the kids, families, and staff.... so it's all good.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I just started back as a music volunteer at the children's hospital. Instrumental music only, no singing. They have a music space cordoned off in the first floor lobby. Unfortunately, it's in a corner, kind of under the stairs. The lobby is very large, open, with lots of people coming & going. Background noise is an issue. I'm plugging into my Roland AC-33 amp which helps. I'm back this afternoon to play, and I'll work on my positioning & amp volume to see if I can improve things. I need to find someone to listen to my playing and give me feedback on the sound. To me, I can't hear myself very well.

But hey.....I'm playing in public, for the kids, families, and staff.... so it's all good.
    Doesn't the ac33 have a looper built in? If you can record yourself, you could unplug and have a listen yourself to see how it sounds. Try to get the amp off the ground - at least chair height, though ear-height would be better.
    Brad Bordessa

6th Sense Course - Learn to play Hawaiian-style, 6th harmonies

Listen to my ʻukulele podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    Doesn't the ac33 have a looper built in? If you can record yourself, you could unplug and have a listen yourself to see how it sounds. Try to get the amp off the ground - at least chair height, though ear-height would be better.
    Thanks Brad. There is a bench in the music area that I could sit the amp on. I'll try that next time. With all the ambient noise in the lobby, I have a hard time hearing myself, even through the amp. I need to ask people who stop to listen to me about the sound. I don't want to be super loud & annoying, but too soft to be heard makes playing kind of pointless.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

This effect annoys me immensely in my basement. The ukes on the wall resonates with the one I play. And the walls themselves have a thin shell on them that mives a bit with the sound, makes the overall sound a bit boxy.
    I've been experiencing almost the same problems with my basement, and that's why I've done a renovation of it, which helped a lot. As I remember, here is a resource of a company ( here a website: https://csgrenovation.ca/our-service...t-renovations/ ), that helped me in hiring renovation professionals for that job to be done. I was pretty surprised how fast they have accomplished that renovation process in my house.
    Last edited by daniel1RR; 05-24-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Thread Information