Titebond Clean Up?

Explorer77

Reaction score
What are your best techniques for cleaning up Titebond squeeze-out? Do you wait a few minutes or go at it right away? What tools, wipes, rags, etc. do you use? I usually have been quite successful but not recently, and it is frustrating.

Well, the first thing is to not get much squeeze out to begin with. Many people use too much glue. You don't need much Titebond to get a good join. Masking tape down before you glue is good like on bridges. Outline with masking tape, glue and then remove - perfect line with no squeeze out. Some people swear by letting the glue skin over and then remove the blebs but I've never found that to work for me. Some people let the glue set a bit before they put the wood together (Pete Howlet does this) which reduces squeeze out but I think it might reduce holding power. What I do is use a sharp 3/16 inch chisel and quickly skim up the squeeze out after letting it sit a minute or two. Then a wipe with a paper towel gets it.

If you are struggling with squeeze out you are probably using too much glue. Cut back to where you are only seeing a bleb or so and you are on track.

Squeeze-out is a real problem if you want to stain the wood because the glue provides a barrier. I've seen lots of suggestions online, but nothing that lets you stain wood that's had glue on it. Ironically, they always tell you to get an even amount of squeeze-out. I prefer no leakage, but I also want a strong joint. Putting masking tape on both surfaces and using minimal glue is probably the best technique.

Let the glue kind of firm up then take a straw and cut an angle across the end. Then use that angled cut to scrape out the squeeze out.
Works great

IME it's definitely best to let the glue set up (or at least mostly set up) and then remove it mechanically. Trying to wipe a blob of squeeze out just smears it and pushes it into the wood grain. Big mess! If, instead, you let the blob harden, you can pop it off with a chisel, razor blade, or other tool.

If I'm doing work with parts that already have a finish on them (i.e. gluing a bridge on) I will wipe on some johnson's paste wax prior to gluing. The glue blobs practically fall off all by themselves after that. Much easier than tape IME, since masking tape can become embedded in the glue and then you're fighting not only glue blobs, but little tiny flecks of tape in the joint too.

Top Bottom