New from the Windy City

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello-
Are people using this WWW forum or the discord server? I'm confused....

Last edited:
Welcome to UU Eggs_n_Ham and hello from the South Side of our Windy City. I have tried both but much prefer the WWW forum here. Great folks willing to help and share their knowledge. I spent little time at the discord server and have never gone back.

Hi Eggs_n-Ham! Welcome.

The UU Forum is still active because many of us prefer it to the Discord Server site. However, the site uses old software. So, we put up with some quirks and shortcomings. Primarily, the site will sometimes truncate a posting if there is a symbol in the text that it doesn't like. Such as the symbol for the British Pound or for temperature degree.

So before you post something, whether a new thread or a comment, it's a good idea to copy it before you post. If it is shortened, then click the edit button and paste the entire text in the box. Check that there aren't any symbols or M-dashes or such. Then post the edit. It should be good.

Anyway, yes, the Forum is alive and operational. Welcome and enjoy.

Welcome Eggs_n_Ham! I also prefer the Forum here. Though undeniably cranky software wise, great people and good info here.

Welcome to UU, Eggs_n_Ham!
Still plenty of active users here, so if you have stories to share or questions to ask, there will be someone to weigh in...

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks! My first computer was 1983 and I've been on the WWW since 1987, there abouts! Old school is where I'm at; I prefer BBS-style and old school forums such as this because "what you see is what you get" - simple and straightforward.
I signed up for the discord server and looked around- I like it here!

Thanks! My first computer was 1983 and I've been on the WWW since 1987, there abouts! Old school is where I'm at; I prefer BBS-style and old school forums such as this because "what you see is what you get" - simple and straightforward.
I signed up for the discord server and looked around- I like it here!

I remember back around 1987 mentioning to friends that w3 (most called www as w3 back then, if I remembered correctly) isn't going anywhere. Gopher is a lot simpler and faster and way, way more popular and it wasn't going anywhere. Usenet newsgroups is where things are at. Man, somehow I always bet on the wrong tech.

Welcome to UU, Eggs_n_Ham!
Still plenty of active users here, so if you have stories to share or questions to ask, there will be someone to weigh in...

Enjoy your stay!

Eggs - you’ve come to the right place. We all do our best to provide insight and good advice.

Top Bottom