Something a little different.

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Just completed this Octave mandolin. Thought it might be relevant here as it's close to being a baritone uke, but built and braced to take 8 steel strings. WRC top and English walnut back and sides.
P1000469.jpg
P1000492.jpg

Got any pictures of the bracing, or how you sized it to deal with the string load?

Sorry, I have no pictures, but it was X braced as a small guitar would be and with slight scalloping on the base side of the X, one tone bar and one finger brace either side. I drew up a plan and if you wish I can photo and post it later.
Mike.

I love the sound of the octave mandolin. This one looks like an ukulele, it's even doubly nice!

Sorry, I have no pictures, but it was X braced as a small guitar would be and with slight scalloping on the base side of the X, one tone bar and one finger brace either side. I drew up a plan and if you wish I can photo and post it later.
Mike.

I would be interested in a quick picture. I've been thinking of trying a steel string instrument.

I would be interested in a quick picture. I've been thinking of trying a steel string instrument.

This was just a rough initial drawing, which I hope is self explanatory. Good luck.
Octave mando plan.jpg

I also added a popsicle brace above the no.1 brace, which isn't shown on the drawing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom