How Many Ukes Do You Own?

spirittoo

Reaction score
I did a search of the subject and I thought sure I would find something, but nothing came up. I used my title for the search. The uke p*** is so huge and some don't say how many they have. Also the number could have changed since their last posting there.

My brother wondered why I have so many ukes (8 when I get the Flight in July). I told him there are uke lovers out there that have way more than me.

So the question like the title ... how many ukes do you own and do you plan to buy more?

I'm going to stop at 8, unless I decide to get the Flight Centurion, but I think the Pathfinder will be enough for me.

Like that old SNL sketch from the 70's where they said "show us your guns" ... show us your ukes numbers! :music::nana:

Thanks for reading my post.:cheers:

I’m down to 6 ukuleles now, high was 9
Don’t ask about my guitar collection.....
Ron

I have 8 as well. I started playing in July of 2013 and the first year I had 16, then culled them to 4. Since then I've gone up to 8, which is the maximum that will fit in a humidified display I made in a bookshelf. Helps keep my UAS under control. Much less control with my bass ukes/mini bass guitars, I have 28, but that many will only fit on my closet rack. Here's the entire lot.

Uke & Bass Collection.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

More than I should, but not enough. Ha Ha. The UPS driver just keeps bringing them to the house for some reason. :rolleyes:

Also, I have already given two away. That's fun too. I gave one to a guitar playing friend I have known for 20+ years and once he figured out corresponding chords he was playing songs in about 5 minutes so I sent one home with him. Also gave one to my son's future bride. She said she'd give a Uke a whirl.

I'm going to stop at 8, unless I decide to get the Flight Centurion, but I think the Pathfinder will be enough for me.
Why stop at 8? It is like saying I will only ever eat 8 dishes! Now one cannot eat all the dishes on the same day but over the span of a lifetime why not sample a lot? And keep the dishes that are your favorite..

I have owned over 40 ukes, I sold the ukes that did not get played a lot. Pretty much every uke I have owned has been a good to great uke.. but I only hold on to the irreplaceable ones..

Our ears and hands are sense organs and the pleasure we derive is real.. technically you need only one uke but that is like saying you can live your entire life eating a single dish.. there is a difference between hoarding and sampling.

I am big on sampling. My pinball machine collection is sitting at 17 games right now but I have owned over another 50 games that have come and gone. I pretty much usually have about 20-21 at most times. Sold a few lately to make room for new ones on order and some future releases coming out later in the year.

Trying not to do the same thing with Ukes. Ha Ha. At least the Ukes are smaller and easier to move than pinball machines. Guess I like collecting things I can play !

I like how you think kerneltime. Kind of my approach on things too.

I have 4 ukuleles and a banjouke. I don't want to own more than that. If I buy one, I'll sell one.

Way too many. I'm afraid to count. I should sell the tenors, as I only play baritone and concert these days.

I own 2 but my goal is 4...

Way too many. I'm afraid to count.

That was my first thought, too. :)
I play them all regularly, though, and when I try to pick out something to sell, I realize it's not going to happen.
So, no more coming in, (I think I said that once before, and well, this time I mean it), but probably nothing going out right now, either.
I think that 4 would probably be ideal, (2 reentrant and 2 linear, since I play both tunings daily.)

I have four wooden ukuleles, and one B/U. Of the four, one is a self built resonator, and one is a sopranino.

I managed to overcome my UAS at 17, (had previously given away 6 of my first purchases), & even though I don't really play them much any more, (I play blown instruments nowadays), I just can't part with any of them. :uhoh: :music:

(I still hope that one day I will return to The Seasons with a song, however badly croaked out....) ;)

Last edited:
Five 'ukulele here, all tenor-scale-length instruments. My ideal number is somewhere between 3 and 6.

Three. One is out on loan though and I may or may not get it back some day.

Two. But one is for sale.

Kanile'a K-1 Natural Tenor
MFC Concert Flea (for sale in the Market Place)

Gorgeous collection @kohanmike. Really enjoyed seeing your collection Thanks so much for the look.

If you placed all my ukuleles end to end, they would stretch from here, to way over there.

John Colter

So the question like the title ... how many ukes do you own and do you plan to buy more?

I own 6 currently. I don't plan to buy more (I'll back that statement up and say I've not bought a new uke in many months).

Top Bottom