Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Quintessential Hawaiian Uke Song

One more suggestion. Mark Nelson’s “Learn to Play Slack Key Style 'Ukulele” book contains tabs for many traditional Hawaiian tunes. I keep going back to this book and memorizing another tune.

Aloha Oe and Tiny Bubbles

Petey

Mele kalikimaka!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by badhabits View Post
    Mele kalikimaka!
    Lol
    Yep! I still like Bing's version.

Again, He Mele Aloha is really a must-have for any Hawaiian music-loving uke players. It contains most of the classics you'll hear recommended: Kaulana Nā Pua, Maunaloa, I Kona, Pua Carnation, Ulupalakua, Henehene Kou ʻAka, etc, and of course a lot of the Queens's songs.

I've yet to hear of it having an error in the Hawaiian lyrics. Having a reliable reference of the pronunciation is completely invaluable for those striving for accuracy. I have it out at least once a month to double-check lyrics.
    Brad Bordessa

6th Sense Course - Learn to play Hawaiian-style, 6th harmonies

Listen to my ʻukulele podcast!

'Lava'?
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

He Hawaii Au, Kanaiaupuni, Koke'e, Ulupalakua, Kaulana Na Pua, Oiwi E, Wahine Ilikea, He Aloha Mele, Hawaii Loa, Ka Uluwehi o Ke Kai, Pua Olena, Laieikawai, Ka Pua U'i

Some good suggestions here! OpihiMan, your post is all Greek to me. I'm impressed! It's a bit daunting to think of learning lyrics in a language that is foreign to me, but the uke is inspiring me.

Since several folks have brought it up, I was intrigued and went looking for more information on "He Mele Aloha." It seems that it is currently out of print? The physical copies are going for shocking prices on Amazon, and the website, hemelelaloha.com, simply says they are not in stock. You can still order the Kindle version from Amazon for a mostly reasonable price.

While digging, it also seems that the book only contains the lyrics and cords, not the music itself. I love the idea of this book, and think it is an amazing reference, but I think it might work better as a companion to other resources. I obviously don't have a copy, but I thought I would pass along what I had uncovered.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Yes, the "He Mele Aloha" book is only chords and lyrics, plus a short history of each song. These are all pretty popular songs and you can find performances and/or tutorials on YouTube if you want to hear the rhythm or pronunciations for the lyrics. While Amazon does not carry the book, a lot of independent bookstores and music stores in Hawaii do carry it and they will ship it to you. For example, Kanile'a Ukulele sells the book from the accessories section of their website: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/shop/.../he-mele-aloha
    Last edited by man0a; 05-20-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Thread Information