Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the ideal action at the 12th on a Kanile'a tenor?

My Kanile'a super tenor started out at 2.75mm at the 12th fret (perfect for me) and, after 6 months or so, went up to nearly 3.25mm. An action touchup down the road is pretty common and I've had to do it on many of my instruments.

Rainbow 21
    I see you are NorCal. I am East Bay. After Covid, I’m taking my instrument in for adjustment in Lafayette. I know some Luthiers, but I plan on using LaMorinda Music. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your resource.

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Last edited by Another Ukulele; 05-17-2021 at 05:52 PM.

[QUOTE=Another Ukulele;2278528]Rainbow 21
    I see you are NorCal. I am East Bay. After Covid, I

Oops I got cut off. Tracy I have visited a luthier in Oakland once for a bridge re-glue. Wood Street Guitar Repair, I had a very positive experience with a Martin.
    Yesterday i decided to shave 2mm off the saddle in order to lower the action at the 12th about a 1mm. After I did all that, and while restringing to my surprise I discovered that under the saddle, inside the bridge's channel, were two wood shims of different thickness suggesting that their removal would help lower the action at the 12th....
    I left them in place and now the Kanile'a has a lower action between 2.5 and 2.75.. Go figure..
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    My Kanile'a super tenor started out at 2.75mm at the 12th fret (perfect for me) and, after 6 months or so, went up to nearly 3.25mm. An action touchup down the road is pretty common and I've had to do it on many of my instruments.
    Thank you Peter, I actually lowered the action by sanding the saddle, and brought it to 2.5 / 2.75. The funny thing is that after doing all that, I found in the bridge channel below the saddle, 2 wooden shims of different sizes...suggesting that their removal would lower the action at the 12th..

Mary,
    Thanks for the information. And don’t worry, I’ve gotten cut off myself in the past, hence the edit of my post

Quote Originally Posted by Hennared View Post
    Thank you Peter, I actually lowered the action by sanding the saddle, and brought it to 2.5 / 2.75. The funny thing is that after doing all that, I found in the bridge channel below the saddle, 2 wooden shims of different sizes...suggesting that their removal would lower the action at the 12th..
    Interesting that it had shims. That could suggest that whoever did your setup felt like they went too low and raised it.

Does your uke have an undersaddle pickup?

Thread Information