Are expensive "high end" ukuleles really worth it for a non-pro player?

I forgot to mention: A high end Uke will not make you a better player. But, a really cheap Uke can discourage your playing, and hold you back.

One of my teachers once said that a cheap ukulele can make you a better player because it forces you to work much harder to sound good. Of course that you are right if you are not really motivated to sound good, you could just as easily quit in frustration.

A Ukulele with decent quality is really important for beginners because thus when you find something wrong, you will know it's most likely because of your skill, not because of the flaws in your Ukulele.
Decent quality doesn't mean expensive. For your budget $500, you can get a decent Pono.

Hello:

I'm new to ukulele and trying to "self-learn". I purchased a concert Aklot ukulele from amazon and by all accounts ( as I learn to differentiate sounds and parts of a ukulele), it's a fine little ukulele. The only thing I did to it was change the strings to Martin 600's as the stock Aquilas really hurt my fingers.

So I was looking at the "next level" ukuleles last night. I watch a lot of "gotaukulele" reviews as well as many others. Amongst the ukuleles I could afford vs what I want (koaloha, kamaka, romero creations), I really like Duke, Ortega, Snail, Flight and Pono. I went back and listened to reviews on youtube about these ukuleles and am wondering: are these ukuleles *really any different, really any better* than a well made inexpensive ukulele?
At what point do you really hear the difference between a good ukulele and a really fine ukulele? If you had a budget limit of under $500 u.s.d, would you consider any of the ukuleles I've named and if not, what do you recommend?

Expensive kit for any hobby is almost always overkill and not the best use of money. It ain’t what you’ve got it’s what you do with it that matters. Buying an expensive Uke makes about as much sense as buying a Porsche without knowing how to drive it, you’d be better off to buy a small engined Ford and take some driving lessons. After that the Ford will take you everywhere you want to go and be fast enough too. I would also add that - more so than in some other circumstances - the quality of what Uke you buy is both subjective and only loosely associated with what you pay for it.

I suggest that you leave your money in the Bank and play what you have for a few years or more. In reality most folk never outgrow a reasonable entry level Uke. A few of my friends have been persuaded to buy a KoAloha Opio - very nice Ukes they are too and I’d quite like one. The thing is only one of those friends has the skill to really use their Opio and she’s a long time Guitar player, the other folk have a lovely sounding and looking instrument but they often use their cheapy instead (particularly if we’re playing outside) and do so without any detriment to their playing. We’ve all been playing for quite a few years and bar the guitar player we all started out as total beginners - some of the beginning together group practice more than others and some have more talent than others but none are held back by a cheaper Uke.

TLDR: Get skilled first, that takes years, then think about buying better instruments.

Last edited:
Eh . . what's your budget?

If I win the lottery, I'm buying Collings guitars and K-brand Ukes, 'cuz I've played them and they're Amazing.

Right now? Well, Kalas are nice . . .

I'd argue that fancy instruments are actually worse for touring pros. They don't stay nice for very long in a tour truck.

Expensive kit for any hobby is almost always overkill and not the best use of money. It ain’t what you’ve got it’s what you do with it that matters. Buying an expensive Uke makes about as much sense as buying a Porsche without knowing how to drive it, you’d be better off to buy a small engined Ford and take some driving lessons. After that the Ford will take you everywhere you want to go and be fast enough too. I would also add that - more so than in some other circumstances - the quality of what Uke you buy is both subjective and only loosely associated with what you pay for it.

I suggest that you leave your money in the Bank and play what you have for a few years or more. In reality most folk never outgrow a reasonable entry level Uke. A few of my friends have been persuaded to buy a KoAloha Opio - very nice Ukes they are too and I’d quite like one. The thing is only one of those friends has the skill to really use their Opio and she’s a long time Guitar player, the other folk have a lovely sounding and looking instrument but they often use their cheapy instead (particularly if we’re playing outside) and do so without any detriment to their playing. We’ve all been playing for quite a few years and bar the guitar player we all started out as total beginners - some of the beginning together group practice more than others and some have more talent than others but none are held back by a cheaper Uke.

TLDR: Get skilled first, that takes years, then think about buying better instruments.

I agree with Graham.
You wrote:
I'm new to ukulele and trying to "self-learn". I purchased a concert Aklot ukulele from amazon and by all accounts ( as I learn to differentiate sounds and parts of a ukulele), it's a fine little ukulele. The only thing I did to it was change the strings to Martin 600's as the stock Aquilas really hurt my fingers.

It's clear that you like the Aklot, how it plays, and probably how it sounds. It does not hamper any learning. You don't resent playing it.
You don't mention the model, but I know that the mahogany Aklot with solid top, dove engraved on the headstock, and dove-shaped string through bridge is well regarded.
Do what Graham suggests: play what you have for a bit longer, and save up for maybe that Pono or a secondhand Opio later. You might decide you want a linear uke at some point. An Opio tenor would be a fantastic complement to your reentrant concert.

I think there is another difference. I started about 10 years ago with fairly inexpensive ukes - not $50, but a couple of hundred. I still have a few low end ukes (mainly under $100) to have within arm's reach in most of the rooms I spend much time in.

I also have a few absolutely exquisite customs. And yes, they sound better and are more fun to play, for most songs. (Not all) But the difference is my interaction with the instrument. With my high end ukes, playing them is like a conversation, where I can, intentionally and not intentionally, find nuances and music in all kinds of ways. My low end ukes I make music on. My high end ukes I make music with.

I guess I'd answer your question by saying, "It depends ...." If all your looking for is a Uke to learn on, which sounds good, and is easy to play, then you don't need a high priced instrument. Lots of instruments in the $300 to $800 range will suit your purposes just fine. Technically, the "sound" of a Uke may be judged by listening carefully to single notes being plucked, and single chords being strummed. No fancy playing skill is required. In such a test, the high end Ukes will usually sound somewhat better. Not a lot better, but a little better. The quality of the builds between the mid range and high end Ukes may be the same. If you are a connoisseur of fine tone woods, you may find more satisfaction in the high end Ukes. The higher the price of the instrument, the more selective I would expect the builder to be in choosing the woods. For example, not all Koa woods are the same. Some are quite ordinary, while others are quite exceptional. But, they may sound the same. I've never heard anyone claim that gorgeous flamed Koa actually sounds better than simple straight grained Koa. It's just more esthetically pleasing, at least to some, and definitely more expensive. I think the bottom line is very subjective. Some people really love owning an instrument that is itself a work of art. Others just think of their instrument as a tool, and could care less about its physical appearance. Think of Willie Nelson playing his beat up old guitar, Trigger. I wish I had Willie's talent, but I'm not envious of his taste in instruments. I'm sure I'd want something that looked nicer from the outside. So, finally, my advice about buying a Uke. Look at Ohana limited editions and Mainland Ukes. There you will find beauty, good sound quality, and playability all for a mid range price.

Thanks! Indeed, responsiveness, better sound and quality for longevity of play are main reasons I want a mid-priced ukulele. My little $50 Aklot concert is great but I want a "next level" ukulele to compare and train my ear. I've been looking at Ohana (forgot about Mainland- I was indeed impressed by them!) but I've heard and read mixed reviews regarding quality control with the Ohana brand.

It's quite daunting when there are so many to choose from!

Last edited:
I agree with Graham.
You wrote:

It's clear that you like the Aklot, how it plays, and probably how it sounds. It does not hamper any learning. You don't resent playing it.
You don't mention the model, but I know that the mahogany Aklot with solid top, dove engraved on the headstock, and dove-shaped string through bridge is well regarded.
Do what Graham suggests: play what you have for a bit longer, and save up for maybe that Pono or a secondhand Opio later. You might decide you want a linear uke at some point. An Opio tenor would be a fantastic complement to your reentrant concert.

The Aklot is a mahogany concert that seems to check all the boxes. As it takes me forever to pull the trigger on major purchases, the Aklot will get plenty of attention!

Thanks! Indeed, responsiveness, better sound and quality for longevity of play are main reasons I want a mid-priced ukulele. My little $50 Aklot concert is great but I want a "next level" ukulele to compare and train my ear. I've been looking at Ohana (forgot about Mainland- I was indeed impressed by them!) but I've heard and read mixed reviews regarding quality control with the Ohana brand.

It's quite daunting when there are so many to choose from!

If you would choose an Ohana get that from Mim. Lot's and lots of choices out there....

Main thing is set up of the uke. If it's setup to your liking, quality is just a matter of preference. Being a first step up; you may want to look at used. You can buy a higher quality instrument for the same price you were planning on spending for a new one.

Tin Ear is right, Ohana makes a great instrument as does Mainland and others. In that price range, most are relatively the same, Made in China with a solid top and laminated back and sides. Big difference is if it's setup before shipping out.

You may want to note down what you like and don't like on the one you have. Do you like the neck , is it too thin or fat for your liking; radiused fretboard, all solid or is laminate okay? Type of wood and sound you want. Mahogany is mellower than maple, Spruce top and cedar are different. Spruce is brighter sound than cedar. If you're not sure, this is a good place to ask questions.

If you like a rounder chunky neck, Pono and Kala have that profile. If you want a thinner neck, Oasis, Mainland, Martin shape a thinner neck. I've had at least one of each thru the years and liked them all. I learned my preferences and incorporated them in the next buy. I know I like a thin, fast low action neck with a slight radius but don't mind a flat fretboard. I play my Oasis uke as much as my custom high end instruments. The neck is fast with a good setup and intonation; most everything else is secondary.

A 2 to 500 dollar range with setup is perfect for a second instrument. You will notice a big difference. Be warned, this won't be your last lol.

Last edited:
Short version: yes, worth it when purchased w/ a real set up.

TL;DR:
Watching/Listening a lot of one or two reviewers can be quite limiting. The reviewers I go like are able to showcase the sound without words. Not all popular reviewers have the skill it takes (from finger style to strumming; strumming alone reveals very little). There are some reviewers whom I won't listen to at all as they are, to varying degrees, a waste of my time & brain cells, especially when there are too many words of little value..

There is much manufacturing in China (not just musical instruments) that's very unsustainable on both environment & people. China has a slave labor problem these days related to their treatment of prisoners (political prisoners, ethnic cleansing) in the western part of the nation. I worry less about production instruments from good makers sourcing labor in Indonesia, Thailand, etc. Japan & to some extent have high costs of living, so ukes made there will not be cheap.

Listening on mediocre to crappy speakers will also handicap being able to hear various differences, from subtle to big.

Set up is important, especially for that price range. Part of reuptable sellers' task in the set up process is weeding out the ones from the manufacturer that didn't make the cut. The ukes they send back to certain makers likely end up sold online, as-is.

I started out with a Rogue (very, very bad choice), and several 'blem' Lanakai's (generally OK, but... I learned that 'blem' on eBay did not mean blemish. They all ened up having fatal mechanical problems (twisted neck, neck bow, intonation, and tuner problems), but I did use them to learn that I needed proper nut files and how to do 1st fret clearance! I also learned to leave the saddles alone until the nut was right.

Had a Mitchell baritone, and initially (well, for about 2 years) liked the wide nut and 'baseball bat' neck. But ultimately, it just didn't ring out. It was a bit dull for my taste. Bought a Luna Tattoo and VM. The tattoo sounded like plywood, but I still have the VM. It sounds and plays fine.

Moving on, I took a chance on Caramel. I won't bleat about why I like them, but cost/quality/features (all have onboard chromatic tuners) certainly is a factor. I went through about 9 of them (a couple of each size) and ended up with 2 baritones (a mahogany, and a spruce), 2 sopranos (mahogany - 1 is a duplicate), and 1 tenor (mahogany). I am happily living with them all. I wasn't comfortable with the concert size, but that's just me. Goodwill got the discards.

OK, so I love playing B, T, and S. The T is tuned the same as the B, albeit reentrant. I tried a Kala tenor (more money) and it played OK but just couldn't get the string balance right. I ultimately sold it.

Sure, I lust for an Opio, etc., but they really won't make me a better player. My only 'flings' have been an Ohana VK-70R and a Flight Mango soprano. Most recently, a Kamehameha SP-10 - I am liking it so far.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
As Bill1 said. "The main thing is enjoying your ukulele life."

I haven't bought, played, sold a large number of uke's. The 3 that were over your $500 budget I have kept. All good buy's no regrets. Just finished playing the resonator a little while ago. Of the two that I have bought under your budget I have kept one. It was my first a MF Fluke with solid spruce top and the other upgrades. The Fluke started my enjoyment of my uke life. My second uke was/is a "K" brand. I have tried one other K brand in a store it too was nice. Do I need or want another sample or more of a K brand uke/s? I dunno, I'm happy with what I have. The one I sold just didn't do it for me. It was a Gold Tone resonator. I found if flat and dead at times. It was enough for me to let it go and search out a better quality instrument. The cost of the Pohaku was higher but my ukulele life is much happier. Am fortunate to be able to buy own and play some instruments that I think are nice.

I've handled other ukes of all means and there are many many nice ukes out there. I'm not the type that needs to own one of each. I'm a mediocre player at best, better than I was a year ago....hope to be better still in a years time. While price did play a role in all my purchases I have not let price stop me from purchasing quality instruments. I'm happy when I'm playing the instruments and the music I like best.

Can't ask for more than that.

Last edited:
I agree and appreciate so much with what everyone has said so far! While I am on a strict budget I technically "could" purchase that Anuenue I'd love to have but, that would be like buying a formula One car. Sure I can drive but I can't drive *that*! So my plan is to purchase something mid-priced, continue learning on it and really enjoy having something well within my means and of reputable quality that will last a long time, aging with me like a good friend.

what I'm finding though, is mid-range ukuleles are plentiful but I've yet to find one that enthralls me to the point of purchase. So I'll keep looking at keep waiting- I'll find the right ukulele for me and a great friendship will be born!

I came to this thread today intending to add to it, but after reading Bill1s post above, I'm sure to be taking away more than I'm adding.

Ukulele life is an elegant way to describe personal value and much clearer than responding "it depends" to the original question.

I enjoy my ukulele life by having an instrument that is better than my ability to play it. I would struggle to justify the price of my instrument in terms of utility. In terms of what it adds to my ukulele life, though, it is easily justifiable. I've been playing ukulele for 15 years, play daily and can afford it, though it took me several years of saving to get there. Even before this custom built instrument, I worked my way through the sizes of a few different K brands, which were all better than my ability to play them. I bought each only after getting to play them in person, which cut down some of the risk of the purchase for me. Looking back, I think the purchase of each of these fit neatly into my own uke life philosophy, though that may not have been obvious at the time.

It's interesting to read the different approaches on this thread. Thanks for starting the conversation and good luck on your journey!

I agree and appreciate so much with what everyone has said so far! While I am on a strict budget I technically "could" purchase that Anuenue I'd love to have but, that would be like buying a formula One car. Sure I can drive but I can't drive *that*! So my plan is to purchase something mid-priced, continue learning on it and really enjoy having something well within my means and of reputable quality that will last a long time, aging with me like a good friend.

what I'm finding though, is mid-range ukuleles are plentiful but I've yet to find one that enthralls me to the point of purchase. So I'll keep looking at keep waiting- I'll find the right ukulele for me and a great friendship will be born!

Remember there are great deals on used ukes. I got one of my ukes for less than half the price. And it is in excellent condition. Reverb, this forum marketplace, ebay, etc.....

Personally, I think you should just buy whatever instruments you want. Don’t hold yourself back just because you think your playing doesn’t warrant a fancy, high-priced uke because if you did get the uke of your dreams, you’d just be stoked to play it more. The more you play, the better you get and the more “worth it,” it is.

I had a friend say he wanted to buy a really nice guitar, but he just strums chords and wouldn’t be able to play up to the guitar’s potential, but the guitar’s potential was in the player, not the guitar (they’re horrible at playing themselves). And, while I wouldn’t recommend getting an F-1 car to go get groceries, there’s no risk associated with getting a high-priced uke and just enjoying it how you want to enjoy it.

Personally, I think you should just buy whatever instruments you want. Don’t hold yourself back just because you think your playing doesn’t warrant a fancy, high-priced uke because if you did get the uke of your dreams, you’d just be stoked to play it more. The more you play, the better you get and the more “worth it,” it is.

I had a friend say he wanted to buy a really nice guitar, but he just strums chords and wouldn’t be able to play up to the guitar’s potential, but the guitar’s potential was in the player, not the guitar (they’re horrible at playing themselves). And, while I wouldn’t recommend getting an F-1 car to go get groceries, there’s no risk associated with getting a high-priced uke and just enjoying it how you want to enjoy it.

Ditto. This all day.

oh, and for the record, elite instruments aren't necessary for 95% of pro players. If you're a 15 year old boy you are probably thinking that you simply must have dimarzio pickups or a certain pedal, but the most significant thing that affects the tone of the gigging musician is the intercom system whose button has been duck-taped down in the little venue that is hosting the music. So, as many have already said, necessity doesn't really apply here. Whether you're a pro or a schmo, it is more about what makes you happy.

If not quite in-line with my own thoughts that’s still an interesting take on things and thank you for posting it.

Many, many years ago I asked a successful old man (who was probably only in his late fifties) for some advice on buying things. He said: “always buy the best that you can afford”, I found the the advice to be good if slightly flawed. I always used to have to mind what I spent - still do to an extent - so making my money stretch to cover all of my needs required cost conscious and careful purchasing. What you spend on one item you don’t have left to spend on another - overbuying wasn’t an option.

“He who buys cheap buys twice” is often true but by no means always so. Cheap can give sterling service, but you really have to understand what you’re getting for your money - sometimes I didn’t and wasting money when you haven’t much is very painful. I’ve bought a few expensive items too that whilst they’ve typically worked OK have never given me value for money. There are always exceptions but these three coarse ‘rules of thumb’ work for me:
# the more you spend the better the item.
# scrimping is a false economy.
# understand how good an item you actually need and them buy a bit better than that.

Yep, the limit on your playing should normally be you and not the instrument so getting a really good one does have some merit, well provided that you can comfortably afford to do so. Of course if you’re not sure what you want of an instrument (its features, appearance and sounds) then you might make many purchases and waste money along the way, the acceptability of that is a personal judgement.

Personally I’ve been most pleased with Ukes that were both relatively inexpensive and particularly well set-up. Good practice, education and putting the hours in is what makes an instrument play well and sound good, or sound its best. As they say: “a pro’ will sound better on a student instrument than a student will sound on a pro’ instrument”. They ain’t wrong, it’s the player that matters most, but it’s also broadly true that you’re rarely disadvantaged by having a better instrument so if you can easily afford to overspend then that’s your choice to make.

Edit. Clarification, sometimes a word can have more than one meaning. In this context by ‘overspend’ I mean: to spend noticeably over what is needed to meet your actual needs. So if I bought a Timms or a Martin then that, for me, would be overspending (against my actual needs) if within what I can afford. In a different context ‘overspending’ might well mean someone spending over what they can afford to. So if your regular monthly income is 2000 dollars and your regular monthly expenditure is 3000 then you’re overspending - which eventually tends to lead to lots of problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom