Not Converted Yet.....

My main instrument has been wind (ocarinas). However the sound of ukulele appealed to me and I wanted a rhythm instrument that I could use to accompany myself in recordings. Ukulele was easier to get started on than guitar, and now here I am now with 10+ years of experience dabbling with uke (which also led me to learn guitar and bass).

I think I am still more skilled at my wind instruments, but I've been more ambitious in what I do on ukulele lately.

Haha, I remember seeing your name "kissing" in the ocarina forums! Good times!

Another thing: I agree wholeheartedly that we should play the music we love, no matter what our instrument is. There is no "ukulele music" separate from other kinds of music. And yet... well, if you're playing bluegrass and you love bluegrass, there's no denying that bluegrass is generally played on a certain mix of instruments and if you play something else (like a nylon-strung uke instead of metal-strung guitars/banjos/mandos) then it won't sound the same. If your heart's wedded to that bluegrass sound (this is just a general observation, not directed to you personally) then uke is simply not going to get it done.

It's easier to bond with a uke if you like the kind of music you've heard played on ukes. I think that's a fair statement, even though this forum is full of people playing hard rock, bluegrass and who knows what else on ukulele. If you love folk music, saxophone and synthesizer might not be your first choices. Doesn't mean you can't do it, but it does mean you'll be swimming upstream.

Bluegrass music is me favorite genre, Classical is a close second. The only person I've seen come close to an approximation of it on ukulele is James Hill. Clawhammer isn't Bluegrass, but several Bluegrass musicians are playing it, Billy Strings is one. Steve Martin also. There are some very good clawhammer players on ukulele.

Top Bottom