Kiwaya KMT-K

JDominicA

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2011 Kiwaya KTM-K that has been sitting in its case for 10 years. Should receive it in the next couple of days. This is my first Kiwaya and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Need some advice....

It comes with Gotoh Deluxe Friction Pegs 1. Not a huge fan of friction pegs. I would prefer to replace with geared tuners.

1. Do you have a recommendation to pair with this uke?
2. Do you think I should leave it as is?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 1.05.52 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-19 at 1.05.34 PM.jpg

Gotoh friction tuners work more smoothly than cheaper brands. If you really don't like using them, I would replace them with Gotoh UPT planetary tuners.

Congratulations on your Kiiwaya. I love the woods in the body.

If it hasn't been humidified over the last 10 years and it was located somewhere that was dry or had winters. Or kept in an air conditioned and heated home, you may need to slowly restore the humidity in the wood.

The other option could be PegHed tuners. They look like friction tuners, but actually have planetary gears inside.

I love the Gotoh UPT tuners. They are very smooth and work great. They may fit the holes you already have in the headstock from their friction tuners. The thickness of your headstock will determine whether you need UPT or UPT-L (long) versions.

I'd consult a repair shop or a luthier. Personally, I would have them do the replacement as well.

Gotoh friction tuners work more smoothly than cheaper brands. If you really don't like using them, I would replace them with Gotoh UPT planetary tuners.

Thanks. I'll give the friction tuners a try. The Gotoh UPT planetary tuners are what I was thinking as well. Just wondering if there are any other quality options.

Congratulations on your Kiiwaya. I love the woods in the body.

If it hasn't been humidified over the last 10 years and it was located somewhere that was dry or had winters. Or kept in an air conditioned and heated home, you may need to slowly restore the humidity in the wood.

The other option could be PegHed tuners. They look like friction tuners, but actually have planetary gears inside.

I love the Gotoh UPT tuners. They are very smooth and work great. They may fit the holes you already have in the headstock from their friction tuners. The thickness of your headstock will determine whether you need UPT or UPT-L (long) versions.

I'd consult a repair shop or a luthier. Personally, I would have them do the replacement as well.

Thanks! Pretty excited to add this one to my collection.

Good call on the humidification. I'll reach out to the seller to find out how it was kept.

The PegHed tuners are interesting. Martin puts them on their IZ tenor. Really cool look. Leaning toward the Gotoh UPT because they look consistent with original build.

Peghed nickel tuners are very different looking compared to the black ones, perhaps even more consistent with the build without the large base of the upts. There are also graphtechs and generic gotohs, and schallers but those are designed for banjos.

Thanks for the heads up on the nickel Peghed tuners. Had no idea. Assuming that there wouldn't be an issue with installation, I think that is the winner!

Top Bottom