Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A stupid question about straps.

Default A stupid question about straps.

One of my ukuleles came with buttons, so I purchased a strap for it. Do I leave it on or do I take it off after I finish playing? I purchased the strap hoping it would help with this particular uke. My fretting hand hurts after I play, this doesn’t happen with my other ukuleles. It ‘cuts’ into my hand in one area. It is similar to the marks left on my finger tips when I first started playing. It doesn’t happen with my other three ukuleles. I assume it has something to do with the shape of the neck. The strap helped when I played yesterday. Thank you.
    Last edited by Aloha1985; 05-21-2021 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Part of my post was cut off.

It’s your choice. I like to leave them on because constantly taking them off and putting them on wears out the leather and I’ve had too many guitars’ straps fall off mid-song in the past to feel comfortable even with a uke.

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Fortunately, I only have a few Ukes that need a strap, either due to weight or shape. I have a strap for each, and leave them on the instrument. Too much on and off would weaken the buttonhole in the leather and lead to accidental detachment.

I just thought of something! What if you could buy inexpensive pigtails with the buttonholes to attach to the Uke, and a snap for attaching a strap? That way you could leave the pigtails on the instruments, and have one or two really nice straps that snapped on when needed.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Fortunately, I only have a few Ukes that need a strap, either due to weight or shape. I have a strap for each, and leave them on the instrument. Too much on and off would weaken the buttonhole in the leather and lead to accidental detachment.

I just thought of something! What if you could buy inexpensive pigtails with the buttonholes to attach to the Uke, and a snap for attaching a strap? That way you could leave the pigtails on the instruments, and have one or two really nice straps that snapped on when needed.
    The commercial solution for your idea is straplocks:

https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/a...trap-retainer/

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha1985 View Post
    ..... My fretting hand hurts after I play, this doesn’t happen with my other ukuleles. It ‘cuts’ into my hand in one area. It is similar to the marks left on my finger tips when I first started playing. It doesn’t happen with my other three ukuleles. I assume it has something to do with the shape of the neck. The strap helped when I played yesterday. Thank you.
    It could be that you need to lower the action on that uke.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by dwizum View Post
    The commercial solution for your idea is straplocks:

https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/a...trap-retainer/
    Or perhaps more closely, the Dimarzio cliplock:

https://www.dimarzio.com/straps/cliplock

I don't use straps on ukes as they are small enough to hold and play comfortably without support. I use straps on two of my guitars. One of the guitars has a cutaway so I leave the strap on as I can tuck it in that space in the case. For the other guitar I use straplocks for easy removal. So it depends on how you store your uke. Also if it is a uke with nitro finish keep in mind that this may react with most strap materials so don't keep it on if you don't play it, though those kinds of ukes usually don't have buttons installed and are played without strap.

I find that if I play sitting, I can get by without a strap, but if I want to stand, I need a strap. It's quite possible toplay 1st position chords without a strap, but if you're playing up the neck and more complicated passages a strap makes things a lot easier. The other musicians I play with often play standing and I feel more comfortable standing in this case.
    As for taking the strap off, if your strap is vinyl backed, you shouldalways remove it when you're not playing as it may react with the finish on the uke. If your strap is leather or cloth, and it will fit in the case, you can leave it on the uke. Some of mine have not been off the instruments for years.

I use a strap on every uke I own. I keep the straps on at all times. If putting the uke in a hard case I remove the strap from the neck and lay it flat with the leather end into the headstock well. See pictures below. Sorry about the upside down picture, crazy iPad

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha1985 View Post
    One of my ukuleles came with buttons, so I purchased a strap for it. Do I leave it on or do I take it off after I finish playing? I purchased the strap hoping it would help with this particular uke. My fretting hand hurts after I play, this doesn’t happen with my other ukuleles. It ‘cuts’ into my hand in one area. It is similar to the marks left on my finger tips when I first started playing. It doesn’t happen with my other three ukuleles. I assume it has something to do with the shape of the neck. The strap helped when I played yesterday. Thank you.
    Will you please show us an up close photo of your left hand in position with the strap? Do you have one end attached to two strap buttons, or one at the butt and another end around the headstock?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information