Sell Me On Low G

I play exclusively low-G, but don't feel like I have a horse in the race. As a teacher, I don't really encourage anybody one way or the other unless they have a specific goal that a certain tuning facilitates.

If you have to be convinced, I'd say just stick with what you already know. In my opinion, you should have a good reason for making such a change since it will take practice and force you to retool some of your skills. Too many folks do things just because they can. Unless you're bored or whatever. Then just get a low-G (they're cheap - I'll even send you one if you want) and try it.

I guess my question is, do I need to buy all new strings if I'm currently using nylgut or will it sound just find using 3 nylgut and 1 would Low G?

Yes just one wound low G should go well with the nylguts, you can also use a classical guitar D string if that is easier to get.

IMHO, strumming with a lo G really stinks. But if you fingerpick, it works nicely. I have one uke set up for that, it's a never strummer.

Only my soprano doesn't have a Fremont low G string. My Concert and Tenor ukes simply sound better with the bass, to my ear.

I have both a High G tenor acoustic and low G tenor electric. I like that it forced me to think about note choices and how I don't have to rely on someone else's tabs. Had I just stuck to what I knew and kept playing the High G, I feel like my growth as a player would not be exactly where I am today.

Certain melodies like the Isn't She Lovely's 2nd half phrase of the chorus would need to be played differently on my low G vs the high G. And I think that's great because not only does it put my playing in new situations, but it also changes the way you look at the fretboard a little bit.

I am tempted to say that if you don't miss the low G, perhaps you don't need it. But that doesnt mean you can't experiment with it to see if you like it.

I first put low G on some tenors because I specifically needed the notes for some music I wanted to play.
I play my high G ukes most. But I pick up my low G ukes whenever I:
- Need the notes for a chord melody break in a song I want to sing. I dont usually play pure instrumentals but I like to add some intros, fills and stuff.
- When a song calls for some linear arpeggios, e.g. If it is one of those keys where I can fit the root note of the chords on low part of the G and C strings so It adds a bit of "bass" to the sound. That will not work on a g and C string.

Mim set up my low G concert with Worth unwound strings and I really enjoy it for finger picking. I have a high G tenor for strumming only but mostly gravitate to the low G as I generally lean towards chord melody

Last edited:
My KoAloha Tenor is set up with low g, wouldn't have it any other way. I do find in a group setting sometimes it booms too much so I play my Concert uke in standard GCEA. My other two tenors are currently reentrant as well. Might someday change them to low g as well. Particularly interested in putting a low g string on my Godin but haven't gotten around to that yet.

Just wow! Everyone's heard of Jake, but I'm never seen this woman before. She's amazing. Besides being fabulous, I'd love to have those long fingers lol.

IMHO - low-G is not tremendously useful unless you are playing fingerstyle. If you do like fingerstyle, here is a good comparison of high-G vs low-G:

Just wow! Everyone's heard of Jake, but I'm never seen this woman before. She's amazing. Besides being fabulous, I'd love to have those long fingers lol.

Everybody, I put my new Fremont blackline Low G set on last night and I gotta say I really do not like how floppy the Low G is. Doing some research it sounds like it's just gunna be floppy unless I get a high tension wound or something. Am I right? So far I really, really dislike the flop. But it does sound nice.

Top Bottom