Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being alone in your 50s?

Default Being alone in your 50s?

It is really not easy. I don't think I can find love at this age, and it makes me pretty depressed. Do you have any tips or advice on how to find a soulmate in this crazy word, especially during the pandemic. Share your stories here too, I would love to find out more about your experience

You don't need to find a soulmate to enjoy life. In fact, having a wife (or husband or partner or whatever) just weighs you down and hinder your enjoyment of life. There are so many things I have to give up because of wife and kids. Enjoy your unchained life. You can do lots of fun things. If you don't already, get a motorcycle, it'll be a life changer in the best way you can imagine. You'll meet friends, you'll go riding the back country roads, you'll of course want to go racing, you won't worry about leaving an inheritance for anybody. Have fun.

Nah! Get yourself a Kickbike (a proper scooter, not one of those dangerous small wheeled things), keep fit whilst enjoying some fun, it'll attract attention, I guarantee it.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Love can be found at any age. The secret is to keep yourself happily occupied until that special someone comes along. Try pursuing a hobby that brings you joy. Then (when deemed safe) join a group (or two!) that enjoys the same hobby. Regularly meeting up with people who are passionate about the same thing as you is a great first step towards building good friendships. A good friendship can lead to love. And until that happens, you have your hobby to keep you actively engaged, and your new friends to keep you from being lonely. Best of luck!
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

Quote Originally Posted by charre View Post
    It is really not easy. I don't think I can find love at this age, and it makes me pretty depressed. Do you have any tips or advice on how to find a soulmate in this crazy word, especially during the pandemic. Share your stories here too, I would love to find out more about your experience

I’m not in your position and haven’t been but would still support the advice already offered. At any age finding a suitable long term soul mate is not easy but by good luck or good management most people do manage to do so.

For those struggling in some way Match Makers used to be a traditional link to other suitable people and whilst maybe outdated it could just work for you - maybe they screen people too. Of course there are on-line dating sites too and you might find happiness via one of them (I understand that many do) or you might find something that ends up being far from ideal: do be careful. The pandemic situation can work in your favour, not being physically close to someone makes you just talk and talk and talk (via a telephone or video link). A person might look very attractive but who are they really and do their and your interests and values really align?

Being happy in your self is wise and so is following your interests. Whilst keeping an open mind think about the type of person that you might wish to meet and what that person might be seeking in a life partner ... Many people do meet partners through their circles of friends, their workplace and their hobbies; from time to time we change all of those. Whilst staying true to yourself consider how you can adjust your life to overlap more with the type of person that you hope to meet, or maybe meet links that lead to them. Who might have a relative or friend who could be that special person?

Good luck in your search, be safe, be patient - good things come to those who wait - and play your Uke. Music is good for the soul and who can’t smile whilst playing some jolly tune.

** Just to be safe I would advise against sharing personal information on this site and on other sites too. **
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-22-2021 at 10:49 PM.

I'm 77, and I know what you mean. I lost my wife nine years ago, and I'd like to have a "soulmate," but I'm not about to go online or advertise in a newspaper.

I avoid anything unpleasant - the news, for example. I also avoid sad/unpleasant stories and movies. I keep busy, play the uke, watch TV, and work in the garage.

Funny story. My weekly painting group meets once a month to stuff dolls to give to kids in hospitals. There are patterns for boy dolls and girl dolls. A woman across from me finished stuffing a doll and said, "I need a girl." I replied, as a joke, "You and me, both!" They got a laugh out of that, not realizing I was semi-serious.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

PLAY MORE UKE. We met playing uke 11 1/2 years ago, we are both 71.
    Great partner for life’s adventure.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    You don't need to find a soulmate to enjoy life. In fact, having a wife (or husband or partner or whatever) just weighs you down and hinder your enjoyment of life. There are so many things I have to give up because of wife and kids. Enjoy your unchained life. You can do lots of fun things. If you don't already, get a motorcycle, it'll be a life changer in the best way you can imagine. You'll meet friends, you'll go riding the back country roads, you'll of course want to go racing, you won't worry about leaving an inheritance for anybody. Have fun.
    Don't have a motorcycle, but I do have a moped and had been riding with a gang lol. My back's messed up so I can't right now. They're all like 20 years younger than me, but we all have a blast.
    I know you're looking for someone, but I love living alone. Can come and go as I wish and can come home to peace and quiet. I'm an introvert running a small care facility so I'm on 24/7/365. I definitely come home to my uke now. It's something I started right before COVID.
    OP--Enjoy what you're doing now and maybe in something like a hiking group or the like maybe you'll find someone. I'm 62.

You are still young at 50. Go out and find groups of people with interests similar to yours, such as a uke playing circle which almost every city has. Chances are that there are other people looking for connection so just take it from there. Don't waste time with dating apps.

Interesting some people might be shut off to the internet for meeting people. Seems contrived to connect online, but in this day & age & for the last handful of decades, it's how people find kidneys, bone marrow, lost relatives, careers, education, food (well, delivery, which I don't take part in as I can walk to eateries & shops, support local etc), dream homes, ukulele lessons & jams & more. All of these good things in life now more often than not, involve at least software that often has an app version.

Easy for me to say as I am not in the same boat, I know, but online is a place where meetings can at least get started. A friend neighbor of mine, late 40's told me online dating is not easy, but the alternative can be harder. And they said pandemic online dating has been much more easy (they used good ole "Match")... At the very least online jump-started connections can help someone maintain practice in how to socialize...when not practicing uke that is...
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Thread Information