Millar PD-210MN Phil Doleman Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I've really been eyeing this uke since it was first revealed late last year. I think this was always going to be one of those none-reviews in the sense that it was always going to get a good score. Definitely seems to be comparable to those Kiwaya mahogany sopranos, particularly the KTS-4 and KTS-5 since I doubt the Millar is made out of Honduran mahogany. If I didn't have one of those Kiwayas this would be a no-brainer purchase for me, but even then I've been contemplating getting one as a travel/beater uke.

I definitely agree with the comments on the strings. I actually don't think Worth Browns suit mahogany sopranos that well. I tried them with my KTS-7 and the result was very similar. The sound lost some punch and gained a bit of warmth but it felt a bit too muffled. I massively prefer clear fluorocarbon on my sopranos.

The three-piece neck is an interesting note. There are some really high-end ukes that still don't do single-piece necks. For example, even the most expensive aNueNue ukes have a neck in three pieces. I agree that aesthetically it's a bit bothersome but I'm guessing it doesn't really diminish the quality of the build.

Yeah - was always going to be specced well with Phil D involved. Re the strings - yep- same reason I am not a fan of the Kiwaya choice they always put on.

Only recently sold in the UK so not sure. But suspect this is exclusive to WOU. I think he ships worldwide though.

Haven't seen any Millars available in any of the more popular US uke sites either. Seems they're available only at World of Ukes and SUS outside of Asia. But both of those UK shops ship worldwide so no worries there. And as I've mentioned previously, you don't even have to pay VAT or import costs if you live in the EU and order from World of Ukes. Terrific service.

Nice review Barry, that's also my kind of uke.
But my question is: when are we going to see a Got a Ukulele signature ukulele? :)

Nice review Barry, that's also my kind of uke.
But my question is: when are we going to see a Got a Ukulele signature ukulele? :)

Been offered - but can't happen. The whole ethos behind Got A Ukulele is impartiality, so for one to exist with my name on it - that impartiality goes out of the window.

Been offered - but can't happen. The whole ethos behind Got A Ukulele is impartiality, so for one to exist with my name on it - that impartiality goes out of the window.

Honest, good, informational and enjoyable reviews are great. I like how Baz points out things that are personal preferences if he is not keen on a particular aspect of a Uke. Impartial and he lets you know if some aspect of the Uke is executed well even if it is not to personal taste and so forth. Likewise if he really likes something you can tell. Great jobs on the reviews and I enjoy watching them even if it's an instrument that I do not have an eye on. Enjoyable and impartial and fun to watch. Best reviews out there. There is lots of good stuff on his website besides the reviews. I have found lots of valuable information and learned a lot. Hats off to Baz. Baz is the best.

Nice review. I agree with your thoughts on sopranos.

Honest, good, informational and enjoyable reviews are great. I like how Baz points out things that are personal preferences if he is not keen on a particular aspect of a Uke. Impartial and he lets you know if some aspect of the Uke is executed well even if it is not to personal taste and so forth. Likewise if he really likes something you can tell. Great jobs on the reviews and I enjoy watching them even if it's an instrument that I do not have an eye on. Enjoyable and impartial and fun to watch. Best reviews out there. There is lots of good stuff on his website besides the reviews. I have found lots of valuable information and learned a lot. Hats off to Baz. Baz is the best.

Thanks so much!

Top Bottom