Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 484: On This Day

Here's one from Drenge that vaguely fits the computer theme. Moving house at the weekend so I'm relieving stress by making weird noises in my box fort.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Facebook

YouTube

Stream my album

Buy my album

this one mentions a mountain, as part of a hymn to nature and love - i hope that's good enough!

it was georgia's entry for this year's eurovision song contest, and the more i look back on all the songs, i feel it was the standout one for me... but it didn't even make it through the semifinals stage. alot of the songs i like, never make it through the semifinals stage! what's that all about?!

"you" by tornike kipiani

lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    this one mentions a mountain, as part of a hymn to nature and love - i hope that's good enough!
    I think if my Ted Moult nonsense fits then this definitely fits. Great to hear a Eurovision song done properly .

Thanks for the contributions so far everyone! I think we're seeing quite a bit more of the mountains than the machines at the moment. I have a machine song lined up that I'll hopefully post in the next day or so, but perhaps there will be more...
    - Edwin

White Collar Holler - Nigel Russell

Nigel Russell was inspired by Leadbelly's work song "Linin' Track" to write a 20th Century work song that he called "White Collar Holler". His friend and sometime band-mate, Stan Rogers had a hit (as much as a "folksong" can be a hit) with his cover of this song.
    Stan's version was acappella, but in order to qualify for this weeks SOTU Season 484, I had to include some ukulele.

Here's a song by Scottish alt rockers Del Amitri, "Nothing Ever Happens", which was their biggest hit, released in 1990. There's a computer terminal in the last verse. Perhaps a bit more tenuously, it's a song about how lives get repetitive - kind of robotic, just programmed by The System.

If that sounds like it might be a bit miserable, don't worry, I've livened it up by adding an accordion (okay, a midi accordion sound). That's bound to help. Yes.
    - Edwin

I missed the day of His Bobness's birth but I'm going to use my pry bar to jam this one in anyway. "A country doctor rambles." Rambling is like hiking, right?

Also the 2nd verse (people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall) is a pretty good description of an academic setting where a research team might be brainstorming ideas.

It is the 26th still here on the Left Coast. Wild day for birthdays... Miles Davis, Stevie Nicks, Levon Helm, Lenny Kravitz, Lauryn Hill...

Thanks for hosting Edwin.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

she belongs to me Bob Dylan cover
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Another mountain one (sorry) .
    Piano and Uke instrumental.
    Low hanging fruit, I know.
    I have dedicated this
    to our friends cat ,Shelby.

I suppose that there is a tenuous
    link to machinery as it is
    a song /tune about a train.

Last edited by CeeJay; 05-27-2021 at 01:39 AM.

A nod to Allan Turing,I put this little comedy ditty together several years ago and dug it out for the season

Bit weird this! I was just messing around with a bass line on the keyboards, which I started adding extra parts to. Sometimes this is how a song starts to appear, but in this case it wasn’t quite happening. With this week’s theme in mind I was also thinking about mountain songs and Edvard Grieg’s ‘In The Hall Of The Mountain King’, which he wrote for Ibsen’s 1867 play ‘Peer Gynt’, popped into my head. Then bingo - with a few minor tweaks here and there the main ‘catchy’ part of Grieg’s piece fitted what I’d been working on. Spooky!

My YouTube channel
    My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele
    My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero
    My collaborations with Liz Brinker

Thread Information