Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Season 484: On This Day

Here's a tune Pretty Peggio, from Dylan's first LP.
    Hoyt Axton has a much gorier version of this song, but I prefer Bob's.
    Bob Dylan First Album.jpg

Of course I had a motive for lifting the "only one Dylan song" restriction, which is that I decided I wanted to have a crack at recording this one. This is "Don't Think Twice It's All Right", which as far as I can tell has been recorded by absolutely everyone:

I still can't decide whether I prefer doing this on tenor or baritone, so naturally I've used both. I was going to add a harmonica but it just wasn't sounding right, so I gave up.

I'm going to crowbar this into the main theme in two ways:

• He spends a lot of time walking down the road
    • "You've just kinda wasted my precious time" is something I often want to say to my computer
    - Edwin

Les Barker's brilliant parody of G Formby "When I'm Cleaning Windows"
    This is :
    "Re-installing Windows"

I just found this 20 mins before recording it so may
    have fluffed a couple of lines hither and thither !!

It reminded me of this :

Duck.jpg

See, even microsoft know !!!
    Last edited by CeeJay; 05-29-2021 at 03:58 AM.

Well my broadband is a little ropey today, just like in Stan's song... but I'll try to keep up as best I can. Still a bit of time to get your contributions in, I look forward to hearing what you come up with these last couple of days!
    Last edited by jtsteam; 05-29-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    - Edwin

a homemade song for the mountains theme...

lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eighties.

My birthday, mounatins, Switzerland and plenty of drugs lead me to this tune...

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

A song about Mountains - Sowin' On The Mountain, an old gospel song.

I did this in open C tuning (GCEG), but forgot when I strummed the last chord, so instead of a C, it came out C7.

After making his contributions to computer science and combinatorics, Alan Turing's personal life and his death led to
    The "Alan Turing law", [...] an informal term for the law in the United Kingdom, contained in the Policing and Crime Act 2017, which serves as an amnesty law to pardon men who were cautioned or convicted under historical legislation that outlawed homosexual acts. The provision is named after Alan Turing, the World War II codebreaker and computing pioneer, who was convicted of gross indecency in 1952. Turing received a royal pardon (posthumously) in 2013. The law applies in England and Wales. (Wikipedia)
    In 1952, Turing was convicted of then-illegal "homosexual acts" in 1952. He was punished with hormone "therapy." He also lost his security clearance and his career. Then he killed himself in 1954, eating a poisoned apple.

We're here at the end of May, mental health awareness month in the USA, and at the beginning of June, pride month for the LGBTQIA+ community worldwide. This is a perfect time to celebrate Turing's humanity and to remind ourselves that everyone everywhere should be free to love however they love.

This 1984 Bronski Beat song captures some the desperation that young men growing up gay in Britain dealt with back in the 70s. Sadly, too many young LGBTQIA+ people still deal with discrimination and even violence in the UK and all over the world.

Let's all do our part to support our LGBTQIA+ siblings, sisters, and brothers everywhere <3

Happy Pride to you!!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

More Alan Turing!
    About his work: https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/how-a...%20the%20Bombe.

About the Variations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_Variations

I struggled a bit this week. Being married to a mathematician, I wanted to connect to the mathematical theme. One thing I can say with certainty is: 'It's not my thing!'

There were a couple of 'mathematical' composers that would have celebrated their birthday this past week. Ligeti was born on May 28, 1923. Iannis Xenakis was born on 29 May 1922.

Well I think that just about wraps it up for this week - thanks everyone for all your contributions!

I will have another listen to all the entries and wrap up in the next couple of days.
    - Edwin

Thread Information