Forbidden Song on the Uke

We do Tiptoe Through the Tulips a lot. Falsetto singing is forbidden.

In alphabetical order....

Body Surfing
Breezin'
Europa
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Five Foot Two
Kawika
Has Anybody Seen My Gal?
Hawai'ian Supa Man
Hi'Ilawe
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Tiptoe Through the Tulips
While My Guitar Gently Weeps

All are potential verbotene ukulelenlieder depending on context, but they're also each quite fun in their own way. :music:

Last edited:
The songs that come to my mind:

Creep
Hallelujah
Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Creep
Hallelujah

Lol I hate hallelujah no matter what it's played on.

Interesting about Creep. I did a whole performance of Creep delivered using only my Dracula voice at a Korean Karaoke bar once. No uke. There some cool famous uke version of Creep I haven't heard?

Lol I hate hallelujah no matter what it's played on.

Interesting about Creep. I did a whole performance of Creep delivered using only my Dracula voice at a Korean Karaoke bar once. No uke. There some cool famous uke version of Creep I haven't heard?

I didn't have anything specific in mind when I put Creep on my list. There is a lot of emotion, angst and sadness to that song tempered by some anger as well. It's not that difficult to play (thus so many amateur covers) but vocally it's a tough song to pull off well and most performances I've seen fall pretty short. It's only made worse when you can see the sincerity and desire there but the wherewithal to deliver is not.

Last edited:

Creep
Hallelujah

In response to the 2016 election, I wrote alternate lyrics for "Hallelujah" that encourage and celebrate racial diversity. I almost never play "Hallelujah," but I'll play my version of my version of the song, which I call "Stand Together," at the proverbial drop of a hat. I will play IZ's version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World" on request.

Perhaps this version of Creep will hit the mark for you, mikelz777? :)

Seriously though, I would love to hear this version without the parrot, she has a lovely voice.

Last edited:
I didn't have anything specific in mind when I put Creep on my list. There is a lot of emotion, angst and sadness to that song tempered by some anger as well. It's not that difficult to play (thus so many amateur covers) but vocally it's a tough song to pull off well and most performances I've seen fall pretty short. It's only made worse when you can see the sincerity and desire there but the wherewithal to deliver is not.

Yeah that's why I do it as Dracula, that's the protagonist they had in mind when they wrote.

Sorry, this link didn't attach to my last post. I meant to say about this song, perhaps this would tick the boxes for you as a Creep cover ;-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_O5VWIOZE

She does a nice job despite the parrot! I'd probably call this cover a "pretty" version.

In her description she touches on what I meant to get at and what I think part of the heart of this thread is getting at. (emphasis mine)

"Not like you asked for another quirky bohemian girl singing a cover of Creep on her ukulele, but you got it anyways ladies and gents!"

There are songs that are done so often that they kind of become cliche and

Last edited:
My post keeps getting cut off so I can't finish my thought despite several attempts so I'll leave it at that.

Top three songs I would ban:

Creep
Riptide
Wagon Wheel

Why? I'm just sick of hearing them! :rotfl:

She does a nice job despite the parrot! I'd probably call this cover a "pretty" version.

In her description she touches on what I meant to get at and what I think part of the heart of this thread is getting at. (emphasis mine)

"Not like you asked for another quirky bohemian girl singing a cover of Creep on her ukulele, but you got it anyways ladies and gents!"

There are songs that are done so often that they kind of become cliche and

Agreed mikel777.

I will add a third vote for Riptide, much as I enjoy Vance Joy's original version.

I would add Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World, but I just can't. IZ created something special there, and even though most covers don't do his version justice (mine included), when I play it people still react with, "Oh! I'd love to learn that on the ukulele," even if they're non players. That's a powerful song, there.

Top Bottom