hybrid ukes

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing a mid-priced ukulele and am interested in a Koaloha opio tenor neck concert ukulele. I'm wondering though if "hybridized" ukuleles such as this are a wise investment for someone like me that will have only one instrument (besides the beginner ukulele that is).

The other ukuleles I am interested in are out of stock everywhere and won't be available for a couple months (blah)...

I really love finger-style playing and am of course, less than one year into playing ukulele. I'm also looking at Anuenue and Pono brands. There are gobs of mid-priced ukuleles; seems like finishes and appointments are what begin to drive up price points from the 500.00 u.s point...

Yeah so, finally, buying a 500.00 ukulele that doesn't come with a case...kinda bugs me...

Sorry for the misleading title but I kept getting kicked out whenever I tried to preview the post

Last edited:
Well, from reading all your concerns, you need to buy the one you are convinced you want, even if you have to wait a few months. And get one that comes with a case.

The investment in an ukulele like you seek is not a monetary one since you are not buying it to sell later (though you might). It is to give you the maximum satisfaction and enjoyment. So get this one if you want a tenor neck with a concert body. If you prefer a standard tenor or a standard concert, then wait. The Opios have a good reputation for value for money. The other consideration is to purchase it from a seller that will do a proper setup. A soft case or gig bag can be had for $20 - 50.

Well, from reading all your concerns, you need to buy the one you are convinced you want, even if you have to wait a few months. And get one that comes with a case.

The investment in an ukulele like you seek is not a monetary one since you are not buying it to sell later (though you might). It is to give you the maximum satisfaction and enjoyment. So get this one if you want a tenor neck with a concert body. If you prefer a standard tenor or a standard concert, then wait. The Opios have a good reputation for value for money. The other consideration is to purchase it from a seller that will do a proper setup. A soft case or gig bag can be had for $20 - 50.

Yes indeed, "investment" as in enjoyment and longevity of playability and durability. Part of my problem is the more I read about ukuleles and the more reviews I watch the more questions I have and the less certain I become. Unfortunately for me is having to make this purchase entirely online for several reasons. OTOH, the ukulele stores online all seems to have really good customer service and reputations so that's a plus.
Cheers!

I had UAS - it came to an end when I bought my tenor neck/concert bodied KoAloha Opio solid acacia, (mine came with a good quality gig bag).

It is now strung with Living Water low G strings - great sounding uke. :music:

There is absolutely no problem in having a hybrid like that as you main ukulele. But you shouldnt buy it just because it is the one that is available.

From your other thread I get that you are currently playing a concert sized mahogany ukulele. In your fingerstyle brings you high up the neck so you feel you need a bit more space, the extra room can be nice. If not, there is also something nice about playing fingerstyle on concert ukuleles, they sound a bit uke'ier.

Anyway, wait for the one you desire the most.
And listen to some sound samples to make the most qualified guess as to which one that is.

And lets face it. It is likely that you will one day buy a third ukulele. So if you go for a tenor scale neck and one day realize that you also want an upgrade in concert scale, you are not the first i happens to. I have been through one soprano, five concerts and three tenors and still have 6 of them. If I had managed to just have two or three I would have been proud.

If you are interested in finger-style playing, then I see no point in a "hybrid" long-neck instrument. To me, their main purpose is to give a classic ukulele sound while providing more room for your fingers. For fingerstyle playing, I'd want as much sustain and thus all the body volume I can get, so my choice would be a regular tenor. KoAloha Opio or a Pono are great choices for that.

THIS!:

Can't overstate how important a proper set up is. If you end up being able to wait, you will likely benefit from more reading of others' experiences.
Cases are almost as personal as strings, as people have different uke transport needs, which will vary with different trips.

There are solid reasons why the current sizes have evolved and to buy mix and match versions goes against the logic of those that went before us. Of course someone might have a special requirement, long neck Sopranos are compact Concerts and sometimes that’s helpful, but otherwise the standard sizes are an established match between scale length and body size.

If the Uke that you’d really like isn’t in stock then either buy a very close second to it - provided you’ll be happy with that one indefinitely - or wait until what you want becomes available. To do anything else is just wasting money and a move that you’re not likely to end up being happy with.

Top Bottom