• my uke(s) rounds to 0% of my car price

11 33.33%
  • 15% of my car price

9 27.27%
  • 25%

2 6.06%
  • 50%

5 15.15%
  • almost equal or higher than my car price!

6 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uke vs car price

Default uke vs car price

My oh my, I just did something that I probably shouldn't have done: I compared my uke cost against my car's cost.

Now, I don't drive an expensive car; but, still, it shows either that cars are cheap compared to ukes or ukes are expensive compared to cars, take your pick.

So, add up what you paid for all your ukes and compare that to the price you paid for your car (if you're renting, i.e. not leasing, just use an estimate of the car's price. Yes, I do know people who don't own a car but rent them as needed).

New car price compared to what I paid for the ukes I have now? It's probably around 10%. My car is 4 1/2 years old and worth about half what I paid for it. The ukes, on the other hand are probably worth 20% of what the car is worth now...

The car and the most valuable ukes...
    IMG_20170425_094656991_HDR.jpg favs.jpg
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

I paid more for each of our last 4 vehicles than I paid for my house in 1994. And when my Dad bought their house in 1963, while earning about $1.85/hr, the house was only about $9,000.

Since my house and my ukuleles are all paid for, I can honestly say that if it weren't for the annual school and property taxes, the instruments would cost me as much every year as I pay for my house. However, when I can start playing out again, no matter how little I earn, I will derive more income from the ukuleles than I do from my house.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

My ukes altogether cost about 30% as much as my 2021 Outback Touring. Now if you factor in amps, cables, pedals and other instruments (basses, drums, their accessories) I'd be looking at a much higher percentage.
    Oceana Ancient Sitka Spruce, Ziricote Tenor Dazzo Pickup
    Godin Multiuke Sunburst Electric Tenor
    Godin Multiuke Curly Koa Electric Tenor
    Emerald Synergy Harp Uke Royal Ebony Top w/ LR Baggs 5.0
    Sumi Maru Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Sumi Maru Carbon Fiber Tenor w/ MiSi Trio
    Sumi Maru Carbon Fiber Tenor Hawaiian Theme Top
    Fanner T Style Electric Flame Maple
    Sumi Maru Carbon Fiber Concert

You need to include the annual upkeep costs, insurance and mileage depreciation.

My vehicles are 13 and 30 years old. My wife's is 9 years old. She's in the market for a new one, I am not.

I like the V6 in my RAV4. I still enjoy driving my 5-speed stick, convertible RX7. It ain't that fast, but it's a lot of fun.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

LOL! My last moped (which is my car) was about $500 with the upgrades, so they cost more.

I bought my Beetle for $1000 bucks. Most of my several ukes are more valuable.
    Brad Bordessa

6th Sense Course - Learn to play Hawaiian-style, 6th harmonies

Listen to my ʻukulele podcast!

My car is 22 years old and I own several ukes and guitars. I figure the combined price of the new instruments was about 50% higher than the price of the new car. I am fairly certain that if I wanted to sell them then I would get more for each of the guitars than for the car.

I own about 15 ukuleles, I don’t own 15 cars. So in my mind it’s not a fair comparison. At least that is my rationalization for not doing the math
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I don't own nor do I lease a car, which is probably the reason I can afford my ukes.

Thread Information