• my uke(s) rounds to 0% of my car price

11 33.33%
  • 15% of my car price

9 27.27%
  • 25%

2 6.06%
  • 50%

5 15.15%
  • almost equal or higher than my car price!

6 18.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uke vs car price

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I don't own nor do I lease a car, which is probably the reason I can afford my ukes.
    Same here: Not owning a car frees up a lot of capital to invest in fine ukes (and a great bike)! As a matter of fact, that is exactly my rationale when buying another uke.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

I don't own nor do I lease a car, which is probably the reason I can afford my ukes.
    Wow, I've had a car (or two or three) since I was 16, which was decades ago. Wouldn't go without a car or an ukulele...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

each of my ukuleles cost about 11% of the last car I bought, which was around $17000

This is a pretty cool (& enviable) lifestyle, though usually achievable only in places w/ strong infrastructure & public transit. It also helps if one has no kids or dogs, especially large ones.

Also, I probably know a few people whose bikes cost wayyyyy more than their car/truck, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Same here: Not owning a car frees up a lot of capital to invest in fine ukes (and a great bike)! As a matter of fact, that is exactly my rationale when buying another uke.
    Multiple cars & ukes here. Both except maybe one uke have likely depreciated. But the pricing of many ukes when purchased new has increased a bit dramatically since the pandemic? The demand for non "luxury" ukes, like bikes, shot up during the pandemic, as has the cost of importing a variety of stuff, mostly due to supply chain disruption & skewed demands.

All the cars were pre-owned upon purchase & only one has financing. One of the cars was from the 1990's when upon purchase around 2015?. It later got hit. Because there were no claims filed for physical damage to car or driver, the insurance company of the other driver paid out a cash settlement. So ultimately, we were paid to own the car, in the grand scheme of things, if one doesn't count maintenance. Like many cars during the pandemic, it didn't get driven much last year so the battery is dead.

To the OP, if you are waiting, I wonder if the increase in uke purchases will result in an increase in used ukes hitting the market as this pandemic wanes.
    Also, one of my best Hawaiian Koa ukes was a "blem" purchase, from HMS. It may be less likely for that opportunity to pop up in 🇬🇧 UK, but not impossible.
    And to answer your question, my "better" ukes don't get played as much since they're not hanging on the wall... in the future, after house remodel, I have every intention to put up more hangers, and hang some but not all of the "good" ukes.
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Unfortunately, I have kept track of how much I have spent on ukes, and it's more than I have paid for cars. I buy cheap cars, though.

On the plus side, ukes hold their value better than cars.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

It all depends on where you live.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    It all depends on where you live.

I own a car and whilst I don’t like using it much, and would prefer to cycle places instead, the distances and terrain involved make being car-less quite unattractive - impractical even. Of course circumstances vary and some people local to me do manage without cars, but they also live a significantly restricted life and local employment is very limited both in amount and career prospects. Much as I enjoy playing my Uke having effective forms of personal transport is much higher up the needs hierarchy.

I tend not to own expensive cars and instead tend to run smaller old ones that are well cared for and kept for many years. My car’s annual service, National safety test, road tax and insurance are several times my total spend on Ukes over several years ... and then there’s car depreciation / replacement costs to consider. Broadly my motoring costs are more necessary rather than discretionary. I recently had my eyes checked and purchased new glass, that test and purchase cost about the same as my total spend on Ukes. I might have paid more than was strict necessary but once needed Glasses aren’t really that much of a discretionary spend - certainly looking after your health is a very high priority - but Ukes are a completely discretionary spend.

With relatively little spent on then are my Ukes fit for purpose? Yes they certainly are fit for purpose and they do not hold me back in any way, the limit of the music I produce is me. Ukes are also not that expensive in that for a few hundred pounds, euros or dollars you can buy a good instrument that could last you a lifetime. By way of example Wilfred Welti plays a Bruko No 6 (which cost well within that budget) and he plays it at a professional level.

How we spend our money varies as do our needs and what we have available to spend.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-27-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Thread Information