Do you play your really expensive ukes?

I play the uke that I like to play the most; it just so happens to be an "expensive" uke based on your definition. However, it isn't my most expensive uke (or the 2nd or the 3rd). It is just the uke I like to play the most and have it out on the wall hanger. I take it outside and everywhere because I like playing it. If it gets damaged, it can be replaced with another (and I have high confidence the new one will sound very much like the this one).

I play my expensive ukes every day, but I have to say that I never take them on vacations, in cars, on camping trips. I've tried, but I'm just not wired that way. When I play my ukes, I play my ukes. It is an event. When I go to the beach, that's the event. So I don't take my ukes camping--not because I'm afraid of getting them dirty--but because it is a waste of my time; I would never take them out of their cases.

I'd love to take my uke camping; maybe it's because I camp with kids. The thing holding me back is that I don't have any songs in my repertoire.

I played my most expensive instrument (my custom Beanspout alto) last night, in fact!

I believe that instruments are meant to be played, so I play them! I don't play my expensive ones every single day, but I do play them often. I kind of rotate through instruments. Some nights I play one of the cheaper ones, other nights I play one of the more expensive ones. It depends on the sound and feel I am going for that night. That's why I have so many different ones (or at least that is the story I tell myself to enable my UAS...)

That being said, I take my cheaper instruments to more hazardous environments. I don't take my K brands camping, or to a strum at a pub. (Or at least I didn't. I haven't been to one of those in a while.) The exception is my Blackbird Clara. I take her pretty much wherever! :)

My most expensive and best sounding ukulele is my Ko'olau. I play this quite often and will play it anytime anywhere. No sense letting it sit. I also take meticulous care of my uses, so there's that.

It varies. Depending upon the sound and feel I want on a given day. Right now, the re-entrant ones are getting more play than the linear.
I have two 18" scale tenors that aren't getting as much love because I'm not as comfortable playing them as the 17" tenors. (Shortish fingers.)
I confess, I don't take the expensive ones out to gig or club meetings. Or to practices with friends. It's just too easy to bang them up.
I don't play some of the Ponos as often as I used to. The Fender and Ohana are long gone.

I won't buy a uke unless I'll play it. What would be the point? There are, indeed, ukes that are so expensive I wouldn't feel good about owning them. Even more than cost, I worry about delicate, one-of-a-kind, rare and vintage instruments. I am a bit of a klutz and I am too stressed out taking care of family, cats, house and friends to worry about wooden boxes. My most expensive uke is a Blackbird Clara :cool: Durability is one of the reasons why I bought it.

We all have to figure out for ourselves where our limits are. Much depends on where you play -- at home in a house with good climate control, or on a street corner? And of course what counts as "expensive" might be different for you compared to some of us on UU who should probably be in a 12-step program or something. The best time to ask "will I play it?" is before you buy.

This thread really blew up! Just to be clear, I was not trying to criticise anyone on how much they do (or don't!) play the instruments, I was simply curious on people's approach to it. Especially since many on hear own many many instruments that go far beyond what I define as "expensive".

On the whole the approach seems to be "I bought an instrument, I play it" and personally I agree entirely! If I knew before I bought a uke it was so expensive I'd be scared to play it, I guess I wouldn't buy it at all. They're pretty, but it's not what it's for...

Thanks for all the responses and feel free to keep it coming :D

There are some custom-built ukes that I would be reluctant to play regularly or to take them out to places where they might be vulnerable to damage. At least that's what I tell myself when I look at works of art by the likes of Chuck Moore, Jay Lichty, Bruce Petros, Jake MacKlay, or Beau Hannam. That way I don't have to face the reality of not being able to afford them, anyway! :rolleyes:

I do have a couple of $1000+ ukes and I do play them regularly. But I do have my limits.

Last edited:
I think it depends also on where we are in life.
Back when I was a student who wasn't earning much, a $300-500 uke was considered somewhat "expensive" and I would look after it like it was the crown jewels.

Many years later with a stable job and a bit more wiggle room I have several ukuleles including a Kanile'a.
I don't treat the Kanile'a like crown jewels, but like a tool to be played and taken around. I no longer feel so protective and accept that it will accumulate some wear and tear across its lifetime. If it breaks in some freak accident, that's OK. I can afford to get another one eventually.

As a wristwatch enthusiast too, my shift in attitude has been the same. Back when I was a student, I treated my humble Seiko like it was the grail and was super careful not to get scratches and scuffs on it. Now I wear more expensive Swiss made watches to all sorts of adventures and beach trips without a second thought because I understand that they're built to withstand heavy use and I might as well make the most of it :)

I rotate playing my ukes. I find each enjoyable in its own way and play each for about equal time. Nevertheless, I do baby my more expensive ukes and reluctant to take them outdoor/ bring within reach of children.

Once you play a high end expensive instrument the sound is so captivating you don’t want to play anything else. I have taken all but two of my ukuleles out of the house. Mostly for Uke Jams, open mic performances or “band practice”. Sure I don’t want them to get scratched up or damaged but I bought them to play them, not to hang on the wall like art.

My Koolau has gone on numerous international vacations. But not camping, there are other ukes for that.

Whatever your definition is of an “expensive” Uke, the central question here is what drew you to spend your hard earned treasure on such a thing? Wasn’t it the quality of sound, the playability, the craftsmanship/beauty of the instrument?
So my question is, why wouldn’t you play it everywhere you can. For years now I’ve only owned custom built instruments. The least expensive is $2K. I take them everywhere and that includes international travel.
The joy I receive when I play these instruments justifies the prices that I paid.
My advice to anyone who asks me “what Uke should I buy” is always “buy the best instrument that you can afford “.

My two most expensive ukes are my Kiwaya KTC-2 and my Kiwaya KMT-K. I play them every day but I'm not comfortable bringing them to other peoples homes.

Really digging this thread.
Agreed--expensive is relative--I sometimes get hung up around size of instrument compared to cost. I have a Martin D17 that I got for around $1000 and my Cordoba C10 hybrid was also around that price so when I look at a $1000 uke I balk a bit. But--I'm also super curious how they sound and play compared to what I have already. :D

That said, I'm probably going to be saving up for the Blackbird tenor sometime in my future. It looks perfect for any/all camping and outdoor stuff I want to do; namely, go to Scouting events with the kiddo. That's...a lot of kids in one place at the same time. lol
I have two solid-top ukes (Fender Montecito and Breedlove Pursuit Exotic) and I baby them. I got an Outdoor Ukulele for the kiddo--something I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting damaged--and I think we're even going to customize (aka paint a design on the top) to make it uniquely hers. :)

The two solid-tops I have, I play weekly, for the most part. I'll go through fits and spurts of playing, then set them down for a while (in addition to regular work, I do leathercrafting on the side and I also do that in fits and spurts lol). I keep telling myself I have too many instruments and then turn around and buy another.

But yes. All that to say, buy whichever uke makes you smile, regardless of price. You'll play what you enjoy. :D

I play mostly at home, where I rotate through my Ukes. At least I try to do that. But, when I go out, usually to a coffee shop or park, I hesitate to take an expensive Uke. I have so many mid range price Ukes that play really well and sound great that it's hard to justify the risk of taking a more expensive instrument. By "risk," I'm thinking of transportation accidents, theft, and the kind of minor dings and scratches that can come from handling an instrument in unfamiliar surroundings. As soon as the Covid crisis is over, I'll be going to the Austin Ukulele Society meetings. I may take one of my expensive Ukes there once in a whiile.

My reason to buy an expensive ukulele is always the sound.. so not playing it is counter productive.. an instrument is not really an investment in a monetary sense but it is an investment into the joy one gets..

Life's too short to waste time on playing cheap ukes!

I play my best ones the most. I buy ukes for sound and playability.

Really digging this thread.
Agreed--expensive is relative--I sometimes get hung up around size of instrument compared to cost. I have a Martin D17 that I got for around $1000 and my Cordoba C10 hybrid was also around that price so when I look at a $1000 uke I balk a bit. But--I'm also super curious how they sound and play compared to what I have already. :D

I have that weird hangup, too! I have a $2000 Fender guitar it doesn't really bother me much to take with me places. But my $2000 Kanile'a stays home. I know it doesn't make sense.

Hey everyone,

Just a random thought I had. I have been playing for over a year now and think I'm in for life, so I'm gonna start saving for that "one" hawaiian-made ukulele. Of course, they tend to come in $1000 or so and they look so pretty, so I'm just curious - Those of you that have these kinda instruments and also others, do you also play the expensive ones just as much as the others, or do they tend to stay in cases and come out on special occasions? When they're valuable I can understand maybe you would be nervous to damage them or something.

There is no big deep question here, I'm just curious, as I'm pretty sure once I eventually save and get my hawaiian uke I'll be careful with it but I'll also play it as much as I can, that's the point after all!

It's too long a drive to the bank, and then I have to wait for someone to let me into the vault, so I don't play it much. :D

Seriously, all my ukes get played when their turn comes. For a local jam, I usually have three next to me. I like the variety, and I always throw a banjo uke in there.

Cool question. I have "saved for later" my Compass Rose (cedar/rosewood ) that Jake made along with my KoAloha tenor... My Ohana tenor(cedar/rosewood) and KoAloha concert were my "go-to's" before. After COVID..."life is short, enjoy now" and out came the "good one's".

Top Bottom