Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you play your really expensive ukes?

I play my KoAloha and my Kamaka everywhere inside and outdoors. Though for airline travel and beach etc I also have a small laminate uke.

Over the course of 4 years of playing I have owned 15 different ukes. I've gotten down to 4 now, ranging in price from $600-$1400 give or take. I play them all at home, at church, at my local uke group jams and classes, and at festivals. They are played inside and outside. They travel with me on airlines. The Blackbird Clara goes camping and kayaking with me. I try to be as careful with them as possible.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Those are the ones I play and take to jams, that's what they're for!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    The Blackbird Clara goes camping and kayaking with me.
    How convenient. You can use it as an actual boat paddle.

I don't think I actually have any mid-range ukes currently. Unless you count my Cocobolo concert, they're all what I would call high-end around that $1000 mark. I've sold all my mid-range ukes simply because I rarely played them, so yes, I definitely play my most expensive ukes.

To be honest, I'm still constantly looking for cheaper ukes that I could take with me on trips once this damn pandemic is over, but the issue is I want to get something that I'd be happy to play at home as well as on trips. I'm a bit hesitant to take any of my more expensive ukes with me so I want to find one that's a decent player but one that I wouldn't worry over if it got damaged.

I have all my ukuleles out, including the ones I had to save hard for! I keep them out, close at hand and play them all the time.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

---------- ----------------- ----------

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C * Ohto San cedar + koa 16"
    Tenor - Oulcraft curly myrtle * Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote * Anuenue UT200 * Kanile'a DK-ST * Risa LP Cherry sunburst * Ono 18" Torrefied spruce + koa (Bb tuning)

My most expensive uke is a custom for $780 and I will play that anywhere, anytime.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Playing does not decrease the value of the uke... it is depreciated once you pay for it. Then it will hold its used value for a long time and might actually appreciate in value. This is true whether unplayed or with slight wear and tear. So a $1,000 uke may hold value at $700. It is really not a good financial investment if you are looking to invest.

OTOH, if you play it all the time, you quickly derive more than the $300 (or even $1,000) that it cost you. Everytime you think of your uke (even without picking it up), everytime you see it, everytime you talk about it, you derive value. Now if you play it, that is when you easily exceed the price you paid for it. It feels better, sounds better, and looks better every time you strum or pick a note.

And it saves you the $500 that you would have spent on a different uke while wondering if you should get a $1k uke down the road.

My reason to buy an expensive ukulele is always the sound.. so not playing it is counter productive.. an instrument is not really an investment in a monetary sense but it is an investment into the joy one gets..
    Last edited by kerneltime; 05-25-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Life's too short to waste time on playing cheap ukes!

My first ukulele was a Kala solid acacia tenor. I poromised myself I would get a Hawaiian "K brand" ukulele, but not until I could hear, feel, or otherwise tell the difference between a K brand ukulele and my Kala. A couple of years after I began playing, I bought a Kamaka tenor, and I never looked back. I ended up selling the Kala tenor to a friend at a deep discount. I found that I liked playing the Kamaka more than I liked playing the Kala, and that meant that I actually spent more time playing, which helped me to improve more quickly than I had before buying a Kamaka. I have since bought a number of custom instruments and tend to play them more than I play my Kamaka, although I'm mindful not to place the expensive ukuleles in dangerous environments. I have flown to Hawai'i with my most expensive instrument and I've played that instrument outdoors there.

Thread Information