Do you play your really expensive ukes?

No museum pieces for me! I play my #1 uke daily. I'm able to play at lunchtime at work, so we commute together. If I go anywhere before or after work where I don't want to bring it with, then I'll just leave it home and bring another uke. It never gets left in the car, ever. I've had it for 3 years now and it looks like it's been played daily for 3 years. Strum marks, the odd small ding. I don't intend to sell, and kind of like the idea that after 15 or 20 years it will look like it's been played daily for 15 or 20 years. I know a guy nearing 60 who has a strat he's played since high school. You should see the wear patterns on it. I feel like it shows that he's loved that instrument his whole life.

This topic reminds me of a conversation I had with someone who pointed out that our best clothes are generally the ones we wear the least. I guess that's true for me with clothes, but definitely not true with ukes!

I never play my expensive ukes. I keep them safe at the Kamaka factory.
Hehehe!
Why risk putting all eggs in the same basket.. I would recommend to store some with Kanilea, Koaloha.. and since they are on the same island.. put some with Chuck Moore on the Big Island and with Steve Grimes in Maui. It might also make sense to keep some on the mainland as well ;-)

Top Bottom