Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingernails, Cut or File

Post a closeup pic of your finger tips and nails. That would help.
    Kanile'a Steven Espaniola Signature Koa Custom Tenor
    Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor (Pepe is adding a side port!)
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric
    Ohana Mahogany Cynthia Lin Concert Performance uke
    Kanile'a KCS Super Soprano Premium Koa
    Brian Fanner Custom solid body/steel string tenor (Pixelator)

I clip then file, then use a smoothing emory board. No pic of my fingers, but here's my toes.
    pedicure.jpg
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I clip then file, then use a smoothing emory board. No pic of my fingers, but here's my toes.
    pedicure.jpg
    Bwahahahahaha

48c4c151db2df12df55d972e4d3f069d.jpg
    Kanile'a Steven Espaniola Signature Koa Custom Tenor
    Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor (Pepe is adding a side port!)
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric
    Ohana Mahogany Cynthia Lin Concert Performance uke
    Kanile'a KCS Super Soprano Premium Koa
    Brian Fanner Custom solid body/steel string tenor (Pixelator)

No clipping. Glass file only/weekly.

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I think I will go with filing the nail down probably with a glass file and then buffing for smooth edge. The quick on my fingers loves to grown out near the tips making cutting a problem. On my index finger, left hand, when I was a 7 year old carpenter I sawed off part of my finger. The doctor just stuck it back on and stiched it. So on the opposite side of this finger I have a mushroom that flattens out when I use it to fret. The quick is impossible and grows out as long as the nail. I practice not using it as much as possible and get fair results. Maybe using the file instead of cutting will help. I feel sure that filing will help me more than cutting on the other fingers. Thanks again for your help.

I have to remember to file the nails on my left hand. I hate playing and seeing that my fretting fingernails are too long. I let the nail on my right index finger grow because that's how I strum. It's easy to spot players of stringed instruments - short nails on one hand and long on the other.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Samantha Muir has a web page about this. https://iloveclassicalukulele.com/20...ht-hand-nails/

I always use a file (currently a sapphire one, which seems to last well). It gives me the fine-control I want, doesn't cause fractures in the nail, and with the fine grained side allows me to file a little under the nail for a smoother edge. I "do my nails" about once a week, but I have relatively fast growing nails (probably in part because of the biotin I take and the gelantine capsules that a supplement comes in). I don't use scissors or a clipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Samantha Muir has a web page about this. https://iloveclassicalukulele.com/20...ht-hand-nails/
    That's some great info, thanks for the linky Ed1.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

On my fretting hand, I make sure to round off where the nail blends into the sides. This allows placing my fingertip where I want it between the frets and allows it to roll. If the corners, where the round part of the nail meets the straight, start to stick out (the way they naturally grow) it blocks placing my finger where I want it. When that happens, it's time to round them off with clippers or a file.

Here's the TMI part:

I keep nails on both hands short, leaving a small amount of white nail extending. I do it the old-fashioned way by peeling each nail with the thumbnail of the opposite hand. Experience (and hard thumbnails) taught me how. There is the danger of tearing it too short, damaging the quick and causing pain and possibly bleeding until it grows back. It usually takes a day or two. If you do cause the quick to show or bleed, drink more milk.

I then finish the trim with a clipper.

Of course, all this could be avoided by just doing the whole thing with a clipper and files.

Ancient Old Hand 2.jpg

-Wiggy
    Last edited by Wiggy; 06-24-2021 at 05:33 AM.

Thread Information