Crossrock tenor ukulele case for Kamaka HF3

rufustf

Reaction score
Hopefully this will assist others in properly choosing a case.

My main ukulele is a Kamaka HF-3 (tenor). After a bunch of measuring I purchased the Crossrock ABS case (CRA-800). It fits the Kamaka like a tailored suit. Zero wiggle room, it may as well have been a custom built case. This is the one to get.

Now, I'm having a ukulele built for me that is the exact dimensions of the Kamaka (which turns out to also be the dimensions of the Martin tenor) and wanted to get a fiberglass case for it. I was advised that the 26" tenor case would be the same interior dimensions. The specs listed are not, however, the same, but I went with the advice of the distributor and purchased it (CRF2020TU). It is not the same dimensions and I am returning it. It's close enough for some folks I'm sure, but I don't think that a $200 case should have such an ill fit. Especially when the case at half the price is ideal. I'd prefer a fiberglass case to the ABS, but if anyone is looking for a good case for their Martin or Kamaka tenor, the CRA-800 is your case.

The ABS one also has a slightly larger accessory bin. The one in the fiberglass case is too small for anything other than a clip on tuner or maybe a classical guitar style strap. Otherwise it's useless. If you use a traditional over one shoulder electric/steel string guitar type strap, forget it. The "lock" on the side is kind of stupid and excessively large as well.

It's rather disappointing that the Crossrock seller on eBay did not pay much attention to my concerns about dimensions, etc., in our conversation before purchase, but I also don't think that we shared enough of a common language to engage in clear communication about such details. (I think translation software may have been used and those things never work well.) At one point they referred me to a case that was clearly the wrong dimensions and I should have recognized that as a sign that a lot of details were being either lost or ignored, but I mistakenly assumed this was not so.

Anyhow, I hope my experience can assist others in making a more informed choice in buying a case. It's too bad, as all of their cases are of pretty solid quality and had the fiberglass one fit as well as the ABS I'd happily use it despite the hideous color (my only choices were mint green or orange.) Yuck.

I don't think mint green and orange are hideous colors. (Full disclosure: I have this case in yellow.) Cases in colors like mint green and orange (and yellow) are a lot easier to find than a black case in a pile of cases at a kanikapila or group performance.

What have you decided to do with the case?

The Crossrock ABS case (dark grey) fits my Blackbird Farallon perfectly.
The Crossrock Fiberglass (yellow) case fits my Godin Multiuke - not many cases do.
My KoAloha KTM-25FS came with a nice Oahu HSC (black).

I don't know what the Kamaka co. has for a case, I'd guess it should be pretty decent but I've never seen one. I sent them an email and placed a phone call asking about cases and never heard from them. I got mine used and it was in a foam "Uke crazy" case which is fine, but not a hard case.
The mint green case is being returned. When I've collected the refund I'll get another Crossrock ABS case like what I have already, maybe the champagne color as I don't find it offensive. I just don't dig those bright loud colors for an instrument case, but I'd accept it if it was the only option for fiberglass, and it would have to fit.

Last edited:
The Kamaka tenor case is stellar. A first class wood with faux leather covering well made case. I don't know about the other sizes.

Top Bottom