Season 485 - 7 D in a W

Here's a Tom Waits song. There are four (count 'em! Four!) Sundays in this song. It's from the 2006 collection of rarities and oddities "Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards". This one is a bawler.

Although Orphans has a strange mix of previously unreleased things, things that didn't make it onto other albums, or things that were a bit too odd even for Tom Waits, it does include quite a few of my favourites. This particular one, I learned today, was originally used in a 1984 film "Streetwise", about the lives of homeless youths on the streets of Seattle.

Oh yes, before I go: 2 is the OEPN

SO I was searching searching for a second song for the week and I stumbled onto this. At first, I thought the name of the band was "Big Wednesday", and even though I didn't remember what the rules said about bands with days of the week in their names (I can't even think of any), I thought for sure they'd qualify.... Turns out "Big Wednesday" is a film from the late 70's that I've never seen - it was supposed to be a blockbuster surfing movie... and this song about a car in the sea was on the soundtrack.... It's just a simple DDGA progression, but I immediately loved it. Recorded for the film by "The Farm"..

I'm sort of the anti-BEVOMU here - all face, no uke. TO fill some of the space, I chose clips from today, 3 June, in two year increments going backwards...

Last edited:
Cheers for hosting this one Del boy. I'm into week five of a shoulder fracture, got a stinking cold, can't drive, can't even hold a piece of bread in place to butter it but yesterday I discovered if I keep my left shoulder/upper arm firmly tucked in I can manage most chords up to a certain distance up the neck on the small humble soprano hoorah. I give you an abbreviated version of Sunday Girl (I skipped the French bit mainly because I skipped school a lot and it wouldn't sound pretty):(

It was Wednesday yesterday so by my logic 'yesterday' Is a day of the week :D

I have wrongly said in the title this video is for 484 - but it was written today for 485... I swear!

As we are dealing with the days of the week, I thought I'd offer you all a lesson in learning the names of said days in Catalan in the chorus. Meanwhile, the verses deal with the origins of the days and also outline some common traditional beliefs about the days. Friday is particularly full of warnings and prohibitions, all of which I couldn't fit into such a short song.

I hope you enjoy (and learn from)

SOTU 485 "Sunday Blues" - Marshall Crenshaw (2009). Easy song choice for me with all the rain we've been getting in Texas of late, but it took me a while to figure out the chords on this. Thanks to Liz Brinker for helping me out. It's in the original key of D, which works great for Marshall, but was a bit challenging for me. My appreciation for the original is deepened even more now that I've given it a shot. His vocal phrasing and the track production are really great. I played a Kanile'a Koa K-2 STE (super tenor) uke with Low G tuning.

Sorry to interrupt the proceedings, but I have another puzzle for you, which I hope is not too tricky to solve: S 484 W is P.

Sorry to interrupt the proceedings, but I have another puzzle for you, which I hope is not too tricky to solve: S 484 W is P.
Could it possibly be:
Season 484’s Wrap is Posted?! :)

Could it possibly be:
Season 484's Wrap is Posted?! :)

That's the one :). Here's another one for this season, a Flanders and Swann song about a week of domestic upheaval:

This was one of the first songs that popped into my head for this week, and it mentions every day of the week, so I wanted to make sure I could get it in!

Another interruption (in fact I have interrupted this week more often than I have sung, which is not good).

Anyway, we still need a host for Season 487 (June 13th - June 20th). If nobody steps forward, I will have to switch on the emergency Season, and as I am on holiday for the start of it, and away for three days in the middle, my hosting ability is a bit limited.

So...if anybody else wants to take it on, you can sign up here

Val posted a delightful Never On A Sunday and as it one of the first tunes that I attempted on the Bouzouki
I noodled along with it on the 'zouk. I told val that I was doing this and she said that she wished that she could hear it.
Be careful what you wish for LOL. not so much a collaboration as a Hijack.

Thank you for hosting Del!
Here's an original i wrote today.

I can't remember the last time I posted a song with no multi-tracking. Just one continuous camera shot too.

See what happens when you make a Saturday deadline!

Top Bottom